Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Find funny things after a shower of rain

+2
Laikipia
tigerburnie
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Find funny things after a shower of rain Empty Find funny things after a shower of rain

Post  tigerburnie Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Find funny things after a shower of rain Img_0713

Found wandering on the road in front of our house(luckily it's a cul-de-sac) at 5 o'clock in the evening.So I picked her up(think it was a she,well they're all MRS Tiggiewinkle aren't they)put her on the front lawn,we both then turned over slates and rocks to find some slugs,which she ate quite heartily and then vanished into our Montbreechia(or what ever they're called these days).

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Find funny things after a shower of rain Empty Re: Find funny things after a shower of rain

Post  Laikipia Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:16 am

I love you Wonderful that you've rescued Mrs Tiggywinkle (and of course she must be a Mrs T) and great that you were able to help find her some food. I do hope she'll be alright. So pleased you had your camera to hand TB.

Lai hedgehog
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Find funny things after a shower of rain Empty Re: Find funny things after a shower of rain

Post  littlewid Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 pm

Mrs Tiggiewinkle is beautiful TB I love you and good on you for rescuing her. 5pm is a bit early for these litttle animals to be out. They can roam miles in a night but not usually at that time of the evening, especially as it would still have been light. I wonder if she had been disturbed so was on the move. It would be great to know if she was a she or a he. Whatever sex, you have saved Mrs Tiggiewinkle, even cul-de-sacs can be dangerous places for little creatures, so well done you and Mandy cheers

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Well done both of you, apart from rescuing Mrs Tiggywinkels, it was very thoughtful to turn of the slate, and rocks, she proberbly had expended a lot of energy to gat where she was, and by turning them over to let her get food without using as much energy could have ben a life saver for her
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:07 am

Excellent TB and great you had your camera to hand.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:39 pm

Ooooh she's very cute Like a Star @ heaven I love you Like a Star @ heaven Well done TB & Mrs TB for rescuing her. Sounds like she had a good feed (with your help) before going on her merry way hedgehog
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Find funny things after a shower of rain Img_0715
Taken on a heather clad Grouse moor near the forest of Alyth.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 pm

OK thats a cricket/grasshopper, but what kind?

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

How did you manage to see that and get a photo of it without standing on it first scratch :?: (by mistake of course !)

I've googled it and think it may be a (female) Meadow Grasshopper - the males don't seem to have any green on them
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:02 am

Great photo TB and good comment Doogs What a Face I probably would have squashed it as well (by mistake) i'm always looking up at the sky Laughing

Thanks for naming it also Doogs, always fun to know what we're looking at.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Find funny things after a shower of rain Img_0716
Another little "critter" that I've no clue as to what it is......

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Over to our newly appointed INSECT INSPECTOR.....Doogs Find funny things after a shower of rain 853843 brilliant you were able to let us know about the grasshopper Doogs......now whats this little one I wonder scratch

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 pm

No pressure then LW !!! Find funny things after a shower of rain 40683

At least I had a clue as to what I could google the last time, this one is a bit more scratch I'm not great with bugs but to me that looks like some kind of Beetle :?: Right away to Google and see what I can come up with Find funny things after a shower of rain 45922 . . . . . . .

Last edited by Doogs on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Okay, I've had a good look and found a couple of Beetles that are similar but just not identical scratch Head Banger

Does anyone think it may be something other than a Beetle ???
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:39 am

I need Pete's book - which is at home. Looks very beetle like to me though scratch

Will get back to this at lunchtime.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 am

Ive google it and can find anything that is exactly the same. Lai, hopefully it will be in that book Reading

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:22 pm

Best I can come up with from Pete's book is a Cockchafer also known as 'May-bug'

Easily recognised by hairy, rufous brown elytra and pointed tipped abdomen. In many area common enough to form large swarms at dusk. Larva lives in soil.

Find funny things after a shower of rain Cockch10 found this photo - what do you think?

and also http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/wildlifegarden/atoz/c/cockchafer.aspx

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Yes that does look similar Lai but I'm not sure if it's exactly right scratch The body looks the same but its the head bit of the 'beastie' that seems different.

Is there anyway you could post a bigger picture of it TB ? I.E. select the 'beastie' (sorry for calling it that Embarassed Embarassed ) from your original photo then cut & paste it onto a new picture, it should be bigger - no problem if that's too complicated
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Find funny things after a shower of rain Img_0717

Howzzat?

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Find funny things after a shower of rain Cockch11 - Cockchafer

You're right Doogs - different antennae and no pointed bottom.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks for the zoom TB.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Had a Garden Tiger moth sat on my hand at work,sadly the camera was at home.I was also dive-bombed by an angry Arctic Tern,the nests on the factory roof have obviously got young in them now,have to wear a hard hat outside!!.

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:41 pm

Find funny things after a shower of rain Img_0812

A pond skater being bombed by rain drops(this camera is zippity do daa)

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Find funny things after a shower of rain Img_0813

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:15 pm

Find funny things after a shower of rain Img_0814

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Love the water droplets - you're having fun with the new camera TB Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next