Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013

4 posters

Go down

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 Empty Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013

Post  Safariman Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Although over 4,000 sq. km. the Lower Zambezi National Park  only has a lion population of about 40 individuals divided into 4 prides. When I was there in June they were well spread out throughout the park making finding them quite difficult. At this time of year the prides spread out as the game is very well scattered throughout the park. It is only as the dry season progresses and the animals concentrate closer to the river for food and water that the prides get together. Although we found plenty of tracks, actually seeing any lions was very much hit and miss and when we did find them they were doing what lions do most of the time and that is nothing!! We did find a very pregnant female with a 2 year old cub and a mixed group of adult male and female, sub- adult male and young male. It was only the young male male who bothered to rouse himself and come and investigate the vehicle before flopping down next to us which enabled me to get some good close-up photos. I have also added a short video mainly showing sleeping or resting lions!!

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010510

Sub-adult female

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010511

It's a hard life!!

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010512

A very pregnant female!!

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010710

Male lion

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010711

Female lion

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010712

Young male coming to investigate!!

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010713

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010714

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010715

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1010716

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1020010

A female with 4 of her 5 sub-adult cubs, doing what lions tend to do all day!!

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 P1020011

The 5th. cub, a sub-adult male

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 Empty Re: Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013

Post  Doogs Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Great that you did manage to see some lions Safariman and what wonderful pictures you have to prove it Cool  That lioness has one big tummy full of little cubs lion cub   The male lions looks rather ragged and obviously been scrapping recently by the marks on his face, bless him Crying or Very sad  Loved the close up shots of the eyes Very Happy 

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 40683 apart from the lioness who came for a nosey and lay down beside your jeep your video showed a perfect example of what lions do during the day in the searing heat . . . Sleeping  The pregnant lioness was well zonked and looked very comfy Sleep 

Thanks for posting
cheers 
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013 Empty Re: Lions of the Lower Zambezi, Zambia Safari, June 2013

Post  Laikipia Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:44 am

Great photos and clip Safariman. At last you saw lions, when we were there last November (in South Luangwa NP) there wasn't a lion to be found, despite there being quite a large pride the year before.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:28 pm

As always simply stunning photos Safariman but I must say those facial shots are just outstanding http://i73.servimg.c  and the one with the tongue popping out is such a cat thing, even little domestics do that and its so cute and looks even cuter on a big cat. I must say my favourites are the two eye shots, if they were mine I would be as proud as punch with them. My other favourite is the pregnant female, generally on TV all you see is a pregnant female walking around but that belly holding all those little Lion cubs is just magical.
Loved the video as well and again the music hit the mark, it is what I would call swaying music, he had me swaying and Tiga my cat singing, he obviously loved it too and had his nose on the screen almost whilst he was singing away.

Thanks for sharing those safariman.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down