Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

+4
Anne-Marie1981
Laikipia
Safari Maiden
whitestarling
8 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 6 Empty Re: The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Post  wilderness Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:51 am

Yes I got it! Very Happy Loved Reading it . Do they usually cover all the elephants in that email?
wilderness
wilderness

Back to top Go down

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 6 Empty Re: The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Post  whitestarling Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 am

Just caught up on your news Wilderness. I'm really chuffed for you, that you have adopted Orwa well done, I hope he gives you lots of enjoyment, seeing him growing up
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:02 pm

For each ele/rhino you foster you get an email, contents are the same as they update on all the 3 units, but they will highlight with a link your little ele and with keepers news etc.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  wilderness Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks WS Very Happy The updates are real fun to read.. and I love seeing the pics they put up too cheers
Oh i get it now Lai. Cant wait to read more from them :)
wilderness
wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Wilderness, the best updates which are almost daily from DSWT are on Facebook and also Twitter - so worth checking as often as you can Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  wilderness Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 am

I check updates on facebook whenever I can. Really sad to know of Moju and Lemek passing away Sad
wilderness
wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Awww that is sad, poor eles Crying or Very sad Sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Sorry to hear that Wilderness. RIP little Moju and Lemek.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Thats a shame Wilderness, I'm sorry to hear that Moju and Lemek have gone to the Great Savannah in the Sky RIP Moju and Lemek Sad
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi Wilderness. Haven't been able to get on for a while so I'm late in my congratulations on fostering little Orwa!! You'll just love being a foster parent Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  wilderness Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:24 am

This was something DSWT put up today about Lemek :

We struggled day and night to try and persuade her to take the milk, but without success, despite the presence, example and in-put of all the other Nursery elephants who adored her; despite the input of our best and most experienced Elephant Keeper, Mishak Nzimbi whom every elephant that has passed through our Nursery has loved most; despite endless patience and perseverance day and night for the 8 days she was with us! This elephant, unlike all the others that have passed through our hands, simply would not even try to ingest a sufficient quantity of milk in 24 hours to sustain life. She literally faded away before our very eyes, passing only small amounts of mucus, suggesting a fundamental gut problem, for which we took the precaution of the usual oral Sulphadimidine, but with no noticeable change.n the end we were convinced that she must have some internal defect, and after she breathed her last at 5.30 a.m. on the morning of the 5th February, 2012, we arranged for an autopsy to try and identify this new phenomenon. The result was a shock that broke our hearts. Little Lemek simply died from starvation, no evidence of anything else remiss. In a nutshell, she simply did not want to even try to live, having lost her elephant mother and family a tragic baby who had made up her mind even at that tender age and was determined to join her lost elephant mother. We have never had another like her and it is distressing to know that there was simply nothing we could do to make her change her mind, for force-feeding an elephant is not possible. Rest in Peace little Lemek, somewhere in the Great Somewhere, with your Elephant Mother, even though, had you lived, you would have made a wonderfully caring little mother to others like you who are bound to follow due to the escalation in elephant poaching throughout Africa due to the demand for ivory in China and the Far East.

Reading this piece just made incredibly sad Sad The poaching absolutely never ends.

Thanks Anne-Marie. I love their updates etc Very Happy
wilderness
wilderness

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Isn't it just hearbreaking - I read that a little bit earlier and I couldn't stop the tears!! Yet another life lost because of mans greed!! Sad the poor keepers and staff at the trust must be heartbroken Sad
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Sad Sad that's such a sad story, poor little Lemek. It really is heartbreaking to realise what man is doing to all wildlife through greed and ignorance.

RIP little Lemek -

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I have never visited the trust. I hope I get to soon. Has anyone met Kibo? He is my foster baby. :) I would really like to see some of his recent photos. I hardly get 3 or 4 every month from the trust. They've got their hands full with so many eles to care for!!

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:22 pm

As for Lemek, it is just too bad that she dint make it. Sad My heart aches for her. At such a tender age she decided to starve herself because she could not bear to live without her mother. Crying or Very sad She will continue to live in our hearts forever. It just touches my heart to see how loving and determined she was. RIP little baby! We love you!

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Last year we visited DSWT in Nairobi and saw all the little eles - under Members safari trips you'll find some photos of our visit.

Anne-Marie also visited the orphanage last September and has posted a wonderful account of her day there as well as some lovely photos.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:29 pm

I just saw all the photos uploaded by AM and you. :) They are wonderful. Very Happy

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks Dnyanada - hopefully we will visit again either this year or next. I think by then some of the little eles we foster may have been moved.

I'm not sure if you've seen this on the DSWT website

An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/html/anafricanlovestory.html

Not yet available but I am sure it will be a wonderful book.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 pm

I found this Video of Kibo on You Tube

and the rescue of Orwa

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 6 768480 WS - DSWT is good at adding clips which you can find via their FB page as well.

It's lovely to see the clips and see the eles making their next journey.

I always find it hard to watch the rescue clips, they look so vulnerable and scared.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Thank you Dnyanada. I'm glad you liked the pictures! I was in heaven! That was my dream come true!!

DSWT have had another two rescues over the weekend, one of the rescues is now up on youtube.

Her story is here: http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/asp/orphan_profile.asp?N=266

The video of the rescue seems to have been taken down so I hope it reappears later. Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks WS! I've watched these videos but it was a lot of fun watching them again. :)

I heard about the book, Laikipia. Can't wait to get my hands on it!! :) Which eles have you fostered?

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:09 pm

We foster quite a few, so i must think hard now ...

Il Ngwezi - quite an old ele and now wild
Kibo
Naipoki
Solio - the rhino

and one other that I fostered as birthday present for a friend of mine (and I can't remember just who at the moment) scratch

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:20 am

That's amazing! I have finally found a foster parent who has adopted Kibo too. :) Its really nice of you to adopt so many. :) Every adoption counts and goes a long way in assisting the keepers in nurturing the elephants (and rhinos ofc)!

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Didn't realise you had that many Elephant behind Lai Pai - that;'s brilliant, well done you Cool Very Happy

Brilliant that both you and DK foster Kibo The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 6 71418
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next