Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

+4
Anne-Marie1981
Laikipia
Safari Maiden
whitestarling
8 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 Empty Re: The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Post  Doogs Mon May 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks so much for that clip, it's wonderful The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418 Brilliant to see your little Elephant behind and his friends being recolated successfully to Ithumba. They looked as though they settled in very quickly and all the other elephant were so friendly and welcoming to them, bless I love you I love you
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 Empty Re: The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue May 24, 2011 5:28 pm

What a wonderful clip that is. Always so moving Very Happy

Tickets have been released for BFI IMAX http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_imax/coming_soon/now_booking/born_to_be_wild_3d
Got my tickets booked!! cheers cheers

Another video clip of when they moved Murka (the ele who had a spear in her head) Kitirua and Naisula

Solio is an orphaned black rhino in the care of the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. She is currently being looked after by our dedicated and skilled keepers at our Nairobi Nursery. Spending time out in the bush by day, she enjoys a good dust bath and, of course, her milk! This film offers a glimpse into Solio's life as of May 2011. Find out more about Solio, and better yet, choose to foster her and help us care for Solio and other wildlife orphans in need. http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/asp/orphan_profile.asp?N=235&Rhino=1

Lovely to see Solio being given so much care and attention. She is one that Pete fosters since poor little Maalim died, so it's great to see how she is getting on.

Lai Rhino
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed May 25, 2011 10:54 am

Just catching up after being off line. Some really wonderful, and touching clips there. Thanks AM & Lai
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed May 25, 2011 12:52 pm

I posted on the DSWT facebook wall about tickets being available and they said to hold fire buying any because there will be a premier with Dame Daphne attending. I've already got mine, but with my time being so limited at the minute I don't mind too much. Although it would be great to see her there.

Lai, that is such a lovely clip of Solio Very Happy although still upsets be to think about little Maalim bless his heart.

Did you read about Kudup, that is a sad one. http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/updates/updates.asp?ID=334

Also Dida appears to be struggling now Sad very worried about her. She's very small.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed May 25, 2011 1:29 pm

It's so hard reading these updates Anne-Marie, these little eles have such a hard time and it always makes me Sad poor little Kudup. It must be so soul destroying for the keepers and all those involved.

I really hope little Dida improves, i'm sure they are doing everything possible so fingers crossed she pulls through.

We were lucky enough to see Maalim (wearing his mattress) last year, he was such a character, I hope we will get to see Solio when we visit this year. Must remember to book that!

Thanks for the info about DD - I'll look at their FB page now.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu May 26, 2011 8:47 am

Dame Daphne Sheldrick, founder of the DSWT, pioneered the milk formula and husbandry needed to successful hand-rear milk dependent oprhan baby elephants. These skills and Daphne's knowledge have continued to develop over the years and been shared with keepers at the charity's orphanage in Nairobi. To date, more than 120 elephant orphans have been successfully rehabilitated, all will eventually return to the wild where they belong. This film provides an insight into what it is to be an orphan elephant rescued by the DSWT

A lovely clip
Lai elephant
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu May 26, 2011 3:08 pm

More great releases and clips The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418 The Elephant behind looked tiny compared to that big Bull Elephant affraid They are all so kind and gentle though, it's lovely to see.

That little elephant playing footie with it's keeper, looked so happy and excited. There is no doubt that the DSWT does an absolutely wonderful job for these poor orphaned Elephant behind I know not all of them make it and I don't know their 'stats' but I'm sure a large majority of them do with the second chance they get at DSWT The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu May 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks for the updates AM, I'm behing with things after my connection went down. I need to do a catch up
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun May 29, 2011 7:54 am

Join our very own Dame Daphne Sheldrick at the UK Premiere of Born to be Wild 3D and be one of the first people in the UK to see the film. We have a very limited number of tickets available for this special event, which takes place in London on 14th June, 3 days before the film's official UK release. Get all the details, and most importantly your tickets, here:

http://www.thedswt.org.uk/BTBW_premiere_tickets.html

We've just booked ours - forgot to check the diary so hoping we can go Laughing and hoping we get tickets, i'm not sure if we are in time!

Lai Elephant behind
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 am

Excellent Lai. I'm sure you will have got them in time. You'll have to let us know what its like Very Happy I didn't attempt to get tickets for the premier as cash is very tight and time off so very limited at the mo. We are going on 25th. Going to make a nice day of it. I will remember to take a big box of tissues with me as I'm sure it will be very emotional.
Elephant behind Elephant behind
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 pm

I agree Anne-Marie, lots of tissues and waterproof mascara essential! I'll let you know all about it, assuming we've got the tickets.

Lai Very Happy
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:57 pm

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418 The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418 The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418 The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418 The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418 The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418

Woohoo, I've just won tickets to the premiere!!! The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 853843 The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 853843 The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 853843
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:40 pm

I just saw that on FB - The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 305898 brilliant news.

We'll see you there The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 768480

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Well done AM, looking forward to hearing all about it from yourself and Lai The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 71418
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:23 am

So how was it??? What was the film like???

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm

Well, the film was wonderful. Its so clever the things they can do now. There was several times I just wanted to reach out and touch them!! It could have been a lot longer, but of course I would say that Very Happy the 3d made me eyes go a bit squiffy a couple of times (maybe I was sat to close) if you get the chance, go and see it. Very Happy I'm going again next weekend as I had already booked those tickets.

Had a glass of bubbly after, watched some african singing and dancing then dashed off to catch the train home. I didn't get a chance to see Lai, the place was absolutely packed. Was a great turn out, although some of the reserved seating wasn't taken.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 pm

I agree Anne-Marie - it was wonderful, too short and both Pete and I felt a bit queasy at one point with the 3D effect Shocked I think you lose some of the clarity as well, but then sometimes as you say you felt you could reach out and touch them. A great film and well worth seeing I love you

We did look for you but as you say it was packed but we enjoyed the African dancers. Wish we'd known it was so short we could have got a train home afterwards Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Glad you both had a good time. Not sure about the effects of the 3D though!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Sounds like it's a film worth seeing, glad you both enjoyed it.

Shame that the 3D may have spoilt it Crying or Very sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Soumds like you all had a great time. I would have loved to have seen it, but I'm not sure about the 3D bit. It might affect my Boddies The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 40683
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:27 am

E-mail received from DSWT

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust has identified important habitats to help protect and preserve, and has recently embarked on a partnership with the Kenya Forest Service having secured a concession of the Kibwezi Ground Water Forest. The purpose of this Project is to conserve a representative example of Kenyan dry forest and all that lives within it so that it can continue to provide benefits, through resource utilization and tourism, to the surrounding communities and the Kenyan Forest Service in both the short and long term.

This initiative includes conservation and protection programs, dealing with resource management, monitoring and research and protection activities and preventing the illegal use of forest resources, ensuring measured control together with forest rehabilitation. Community programs are an important component for forest management and we aim to improve the quality of life in the surrounding communities through, electric fencing to alleviate human wildlife conflict, sustainable use of the forest resources, education and the encouragement of activities that reduce the demand for access to the forest.

This precious patch gazetted in 1936 is 58.6Km2 in extent and contains the beautiful Umani Springs, similar to Tsavo West's Mzima Springs. Set conveniently close to the main Nairobi - Mombasa road this Forest reserve is part of a network of protected areas in this region of Kenya, know as the Tsavo Conservation Area, and abuts the Chyulu Hills National Park. This represents the largest contiguous protected area in Kenya and is also one of its most important conservation areas. The Umani Springs are an increasingly important water source for the human population in the surrounding areas as well as the wildlife, as it is also the only surface water in the dry seasons in this region. The forest and springs is home to varied large mammals, birds, reptiles, butterflies, invertebrates, and fish.

The Trust has recently completed a very attractive self help lodge where people can stay and experience this unique ecosystem. The funds generated through tourism helps offset the costs associated with the Kibwezi Forest conservation and protection programs, and we would like to encourage all those familiar with our work to consider supporting this new and exciting initiative. An information montage is attached.

Embarassed information montage not attached - slight problem with how to do it, but it looks like a nice place to stay and sounds like a great initiative.

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Fantastic sounding initiative that benefits both humans and animals, well done DSWT The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust - Page 4 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next