Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

+3
Safari Maiden
Laikipia
whitestarling
7 posters

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 11 Empty Re: Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

Post  Laikipia Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Going for a read - thanks for the nudge Ronnie.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 11 Empty Re: Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

Post  Doogs Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Update from Jonathan today via FB:-

‎4 Muskateers had a battle royal this morning for possession of a male buffalo they killed early in the morning. The buff came back with a vengeance in daylight and cornered one of the males in the Airstrip Lugga - a ten foot deep intermittent water course - and stood over him. But eventually the buff moved on and the lions came back to feast. Earlier we were fascinated to see two rival clans of hyenas squabbling over a dead hippo in the murram pit next to the Governor's Airstrip - they swam to reach the carcass and swarmed over it in their eagerness to eat.

Zawadi moved on from Leopard Gorge some time during the night of 31 Jan. She had moved from the Gorge to try and hunt during the day leaving her daughter - Malaika (meaning Angel in Swahili) - safely back at base. We waited in vain the following morning for the inevitable move that we had been expecting sooner or later.

What an amazing time we have enjoyed the past two weeks at the Gorge. Hot as hell these past few days - back to Nairobi tomorrow - then Namibia on the 8th Feb.

Lovely name for the cub Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 11 71418
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks Doogs - what a great name for a little cub.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks Doogs I Agree great name for the Cub
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Update from J&A on their Blog dated 2nd February 2012 :-

Marsh Pride “Heroes”: Clawed and Notch

We felt very sad that Clawed ended up in this way (killed by herdsmen protecting their livestock) even though it was inevitable that he would almost certainly die a violent death. When I went to see the remains it felt almost sacrilege – there are no dignified burials out on the savanna but none the less……….The size of his skull and his teeth – even what little was left of them – made you realize how much bigger and more powerful a lion is in reality to what you see from a vehicle. I am sure that Clawed would not expect any different – he lived his life with an honesty that has always impressed me about lions (and not just them among the wild creatures) – they do what they do and move on. The threat of violence is an integral part of lion society – as is the exercise of it. But Clawed like Notch was exceptional to have lived so long – and it was a mark of his fortitude and dogged will to live that set him apart. Estimating Notch to be around 12 years of age it will be interesting to see how long he lives. Having the kind of backup he enjoys of 4 strapping companions will surely make a difference – and over and above that he is made of whatever the ‘right stuff’ is that goes in to the genetic pedigree of a alpha male. Long live the King – and salutations to his fallen rival Clawed. Because remember the irony – that it was Clawed, Romeo and their male companion who ousted Notch and killed his companion in 2005 or thereabouts (Pepe can remind of us the facts) – yet Notch lived on with his younger relatives after being ousted from the Marsh Pride and now rules a large swath of the Mara.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Ronnie - in response to your question about the herdsman who was mauled by Zawadi I e-mailed Jonathan as promised and have just had a reply, as I am not in my office I have picked it up on my mobile but will post the reply from Jonathan tomorrow.

So as not to keep you in suspense, the herdsman is okay. More tomorrow.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks Lai, I had figured the lack of any news was probably a good thing.Glad to hear he's ok.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks for the headsup Lai, good to know he is OK at least
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:22 am

Posting this under J & A thread and also Zawadi thread in case it gets missed!

Extract from e-mail from Jonathan is response to Ronnie's question about the herdsman.

Hi Milly - yes, the herdsman is fine! Also the action of the Mara North Conservancy rangers saved the day as people from nearby Mara Rianta village heard very quickly about the attack and were intent on exacting revenge - the rangers made sure Zawadi fled from her perch in a tree and took off. And they then explained as best they could to the villagers that Z had a cub (or maybe both cubs at that time) and the livestock and herdsman pressing down to the lugga (intermittent water course) no doubt made her feel very compromised/threatened - and as any mother would know there is nothing as brave or determined than mother fearing for the life of her offspring.

Thankfully a happy outcome for the herdsman and Zawadi.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:07 pm

It certainly is :) Thanks for letting us know Lai Pai Wink
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 am

J & A have updated - 2nd April.

Sounds like a wonderful trip to India - and tigers Laughing

http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/travel_club/wordpress/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Excellent, we've not heard from them for ages. Thanks Lai Pai, away for a :study:
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks Lai, gotta go check it out.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Great Lai, it will be interesting to get a perspective on an India trip!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 am

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Now that would be good Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 11 768480

Do you think the Leopard & Cub he was referring to was Shadow (Zawadi) & Malaika ??
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:58 pm

That would be interesting. I'd still like to know what happened to the project in the Mara Warren was referring to regarding webcasts. I'd love to meet some new big cats, but still love to hear about the old ones. Doogs, sounds like he's talking about Shadow and Malaika to me too.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:39 am

I Agree Ronnie. I guess they are still working on the idea. I love to know about the big cats we know and love.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:51 pm

So would I - even though we can follow things on FB now, it's just not the same No Crying or Very sad and to be it's very confusing at times scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 am

Hi everyone, J & A's blog has been updated twice in recent days. Seems they were under Tsunami watch and had a few hairy moments but all turned out ok. Hopefully some interesting leopard news soon.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks Ronnie, will check that out later
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks Ronnie cheers

Tsunami warning affraid Hope nothing comes of that.

Didn't know Yala NP was so good for leopard spotting Cool
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 pm

I think we forget, how many different countrys in the world the Leopard inhabits, it's the most widespread big cat. Saw the tsunami warning on the TV affraid What a Face
Glad it turned out PK for all those people
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the nudge Ronnie - going for a read now.

Lai :study:
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 am

Jonathan and Angie have updated twice - they must be exhausted after all that travelling.

http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/travel_club/wordpress/2012/04/22/home-sweet-home/#comments

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next