Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

+3
Safari Maiden
Laikipia
whitestarling
7 posters

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

Post  Doogs Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Update from J&A dated 18/10/10 :-

Just in from Mara at the end of our week long photo safari. And what a blast it proved to be. Many of the 16 participants were old friends – in fact most of the group had travelled with us before to Mara, India, the Arctic and Antarctica: Derek and Alexia, Bob and Christine, Elaine and Tony, Annie and Lisa, David and Hilary, Andrew and Margaret. And what a pleasure to welcome some new faces: Margaret and Paul, and Cassio and Ian. Warren Samuels joined us as co-host and guide as he did the previous week for our Celebration of Wildlife at Little Governors – another of our favourite camps in the Mara (we now have a very smart new house at Main Governors).

This was an exceptional safari even by Mara standards: Honey’s Boys put on a winning performance (they chased and caught a young Grant’s gazelle right in front of our vehicles) – the Marsh Pride paraded across the Marsh with Romeo and Claude there too – Claude is looking very rough and weak again and we think it unlikely that he will survive the next few months. As to who might try and take over the Marsh Pride in his absence it is anyone’s guess though there are some pairs of young males waiting in the wings including Tamu’s Boy and his older companion.

With the help of Bob Eveleighs photographs we were able to establish that Tamu’s two surviving cubs were indeed both males – not a male and a female. One of the males must have been killed leaving his brother to form a new coalition with another nomad. Tamu’s surving Boy is a blonde male – light mane and body colour – while his companion is darker with a larger mane.

We saw a young lioness kill a wildebeest near the Talek River – and witnessed some dramatic concentrations of wildebeest and river crossings there.

We were fortunate to have good leopard sigtings – we saw one of Olive’s two 15 month old male cubs who are now independent of their mother. In fact someone saw Olive with a single tiny cub – eyes still closed or barely open apparently. Does she have more than one cub on this occasion – and have they survived? Maybe you can tell us?? One morning we found Olive’s son (he had killed a young wildebeest calf) and a huge male leopard – the territory holder and the young male’s father judging by the young leopards response to being near the older leopard who must have been feeding on his son’s kill. The male had a huge head and neck and pronouced dewlap – a feature of mature male leopards. His name is Golden Balls – no guessing why that might be!

Icing on the cake was the mother cheetah with her 6 four-month-old cubs. We saw her kill a female Thomson’s gazelle late one evening and enjoyed her company on three occasions. Not often that you see 6 cubs of this age – or older. She is keeping away from lions and hyenas in the Intrepids area right now.

Talking of hyenas – Warren, Angie and myself were thrilled to see a hyena clan battle between two opposing clans – up to 40 hyenas were involved – as well as Tamu’s Boy and his companion who had probably stolen the hyena’s kill during the night. When one of the clans cornered a individual from the bordering clan the most amazing scene unfolded – hyenas ran in waves back and forwards – then stopped in groups to paste the long grass stems with the scent. Absolutely fascinating.

And that was only half of it!

So why not join us in Feb or Oct in 2011 for another of our Rekero photo safaris. You won’t be disappointed!!

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 3 768480

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 3 Empty Re: Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

Post  Laikipia Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Great update. I met Lisa and Annee with Simon at Rekero in Dec 2008. I am sooooooooooooooo jealous and cant wait to hear all about it. By the looks of things they had a great safari.

Thanks for posting Doogs.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:16 pm

19/10/10

Angie and I drove back to our home base at Governor’s Camp after saying goodbye to our friends at Rekero on Sunday. Next morning we were up at 5.30 to have a quick game drive with the Marsh Pride before heading to Nairobi. The pride had made yet another kill in the Marsh and at one point White Eye started to roar – she is Angie’s favourite lioness (mine too) – she is such a warrior, brave and lion-hearted. It was a thrilling sound to hear at any time but early in the morning it sent shivers up our spines. Romeo was there but not Claude. Romeo sticks like glue to the lionesses in the pride.

We then left the pride and travelled north, passing through Musiara Gate and into Masailand. We were overjoyed to see lions walking towards us across the plains. It was the third of the Three Graces with her two sub-adult male offspring walking back towards the spring (where the windmill is) that feeds Musiara Marsh. She likes to hide out here among the croton thickets – just like Tamu did at times with her Boys, keeping out of reach of the main Marsh Pride from whom she is alienated. For some reason White Eye does not like or tolerate this particular lioness – it is obviously not her daughter but maybe the daughter of Red, Lispy or Bibi. Anyway, the young female looked very well fed – maybe even pregnant with her next litter of cubs. If so, who might the father be (it may not be Claude/Clawed or Romeo but a male from the north).

I have to be up early tomorrow for my flight back to the Mara, so heading for bed!

And an afterthought. The other evening when Angie was driving down the dirt road back to our house in Nairobi a beautiful leopard crossed the road in front of her. Little Cat and the dogs better watch out !
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:17 pm

27/10/10

Made it out of the Mara on pm flight on 25 Oct after another amazing safari – Kicheche Main Camp this time with our good friend Brian Hall. Flew later that evening to London for the Canon Pro Solutions event for 26/27 Oct at Business Centre in Islington – gave some presentations each day and great for networking too.

That safari in Mara – highlight was without doubt seing Zawadi (Shadow) of Big Cat Diary fame – she is 14 years old and has a almost year old cub with her – found her one morning (on a tip off) near Moses Rock. I was overjoyed to see her again – she looked amazing – no signs of wear and tear and still her wonderful trusting self.

Back to Nbi in a couple of days – just writing this to you from the Mac shop in Regent St – getting Angie a new G5 for our images. Very exciting. Talked to the Daily Mail today for a phone interview on cheetahs. Did you see the story in the Independent newspaper on cheetah and the San bushmen in Namibia – ‘walking with cheetahs’ kind of thing – will find out more!

Fantastic news that they saw Zawadi cheers

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:35 am

31/10/10

What a joy to walk through the door of our home in Nairobi. Just love this place and Angie and Little Cat – and Slippers and Coco were there too. All went according to plan and our friends Barry and Valerie who are staying with us are doing an amazing job with Angie overhauling the way we work as photographers – how we Edit, File and Store our images. I am not sure I can ever catch up and it is a tremendous task for Angie to get her head around all this – and keep our home the beautiful place that it is. How does she do it??

I am off to Zambia on Tuesday. Back on 10 Nov and then we head back to Mara on the 14 Nov for a suprise week with the cheetah mum and her six cubs (fingers crossed that there will still be six by the time we get there). And we are desperate to find out if Olive has managed to keep her cub/cubs? Any news on that front??

Must head for bed. Hope you are all well and will take a look at the Log tomorrow and try and throw a few answers your way. Keep writing!

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Brilliant update Doogs thanks Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 3 768480 Its great to hear that Romeo, and the Girls are doing so well, bit worried about Claude though last news we had from Aatish was that he was more on his own, and not looking good. It would be great if they can get to see the Cheetah, and 6 Cubs, fingers X they are still there.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Wouldn't it just WS. 3 times we've been to Kenya on safari and we've yet to see any Cheetah cubs - what a thrill it would be to see 6 of them, that would just be totally awesome Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 3 71418
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Brilliant news that they got to see Shadow Doogs, how wonderful that must have been bounce Lets Hope Olive and her cubs are all ok and that the Cheetah mum still has 6 cubs when they get to the Mara.
Great catching up with it all Doogs. Thanks alot for posting cheers
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Aatish emailed me last week he is due back home in the Mara late November early December, and he's going to let me know when. So he may also be able to keep us upto date with the Cheetah, and Cubs
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 am

That was wonderful to come home and read all those updates - thanks for posting Doogs. It sounds like they are mad busy and having a great time out in Kenya.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:03 pm

whitestarling wrote:Aatish emailed me last week he is due back home in the Mara late November early December, and he's going to let me know when. So he may also be able to keep us upto date with the Cheetah, and Cubs
WS

Can't wait for more of Aatish's updates WS. It's always a pleasure to read his blog.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks for the updates Doogs, Ive cauaght up on them now. Now Im pining to get back to Africa, all the fun of new friends and the wonderful wildlife and cubs they have seen. Who will be back in the Mara next?

Great WS that Aatish is keeping you uptodate.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:36 am

J & A have updated twice - some good and some sad news.

Anyone going to the RGS on 14th December to hear them? We have tickets so it would be fun to say hello.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:38 am

J & A have updated - 6th December

Lai Earmuffs
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:12 am

Jonathan and Angie have updated 23rd and 26th December.

http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/travel_club/wordpress/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:28 pm

It is a worry as to what will happen to Clawed isn't it and also Romeo, I do not like to think of them not being around and their demise, its too sad really.

It sounds as if Jonathan and Angie have lots planned and I am so looking forward to seeing the Truth About Lions in the New Year, thats very exciting. It also sounds as if their blog is going to be packed with loads of news too....sounds like a good year ahead for them and for us too.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Jonathan and Angie update 2nd & 8th Jan

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 am

Update from J&A dated 14/01/2011 :-

"Well here I am in Oslo – Angie couldn’t make it sadly – just too much to do organising ourselves for the Mara safari next month – and our India/Bhutan adventure in March.

I don’t know who you fly with but we just love Virgin – the service and support set-up is second to none. Richard Branson really is an inspiration with his way of doing business. There is a young and fresh sense to their operation – very refreshing – Branson has a syndicated column that appears in our local Nation newspaper and I always read it! He also has a stake in one of the Conservancies bordering the Mara Reserve – hasn’t built a camp/lodge yet but the Masai are being paid their lease fee so everyone is happy nonetheless. We need more entrepreneurs like that.

I will be giving a couple of Presentations of our work here in Oslo and networking with our friends from Canon. Going to get on top of the video facility on the EOS 7D and 1D Mk4 cameras – and get our camera sensors cleaned while I am at it – that ‘safari’ dust is something else!!

Still waiting for a transmission date for The Truth About Lions. Will let you know as soon as we hear. We have a cover article on Lions in the March issue of BBC Wildlife magazine – out on newstands third week in Feb.

Will have the chance to catch up with Frans Lanting again while I am in Oslo – and will be meeting up with Frans in June when he is hosting a couple of safari in the Mara (among other places) – we will do an illustrated talk for his visitors during their stay.

Just been reading Africa’s Big Five and Other Wildlife Film Makers by Jean Hartley with a forward by Richard Leakey. Gives a personal insight into the business – Jean has run ViewFinders for the past 20 years which acts as ‘fixer’ facilitating for film crews and sorting out all their kit and accomodation and transport – and much more besides. The Big Five by the way are Alan Root, Hugo van Lawick, Bob Campbell, Des Bartlett and Simon Trevor – all legendary figures in their very different ways as film makers and characters. It is published by Twaweza Communications: ISBN 9966-7244-9-4. Jean doesn’t pull any punches and it makes for a good mix of detail and emotion".
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Also updated today 18th - the last paragraph is not good news for fans of BCD

“Whole Foods” in High St Kensington in London is one of our favourite places. It is a great rendevous for meetings with friends or for business – all manner of meal options from the various restaurants serving hot and cold food – upstairs – and if you want to buy a delicious meal from the Food Hall on the ground floor then you can eat it right here – or take it home. The bread and fruit and vegetables are deliciously fresh and if you like wine then there is a good range of that too – and you can buy a bottle and drink it with your meal on site. The bakery is scrummy and there are plenty of free tasters around the food halls to whet your appetite. We first came on WF while visiting our son in the US – you just cannot beat it.

We love just hanging out here – sometimes for a breakfast treat with yogurt and fresh fruit and all kinds of juices and smoothies – and if you need a meat fix for breakfast then you can do that too. Great Japanese cuisine as well. It is definitely our favourite meeting place when we are in London and if you need Internet then you can get connected for 24 hrs for just GBP 2. And then you can Skype your loved ones from your Laptop too – in fact I just spoke to Angie who is in Nairobi right now getting organised for our Feb/March safaris in Mara/India.

Olso was great by the way – had a chance to work thorough the video capability on the Canon EOS 7D and 1DMk4 – we are so looking forward to incorporating some moving images in to our presentations in the future. The speaking engagements went well – lots of enthusiasm – Africa, India and Antarctica were the flavour of the month.

Ok – Just wanted to touch bases with you all. Sadly I’m getting the feeling that Big Cat Diary might just have been put to sleep for good. Just a hunch, but I think that the BBC may have too many other priorities right now – plus less money to play with. We will just have to figure out a way to keep you all engaged in a meaningful way with all those great big cat stories that are always just waiting to be recorded!

Lai Sad
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks Lai - and you're right, that's not good news at the end No Sad pale Crying or Very sad scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks Lai thats not really good news at all, I hope they are wrong, but I feel their not. Its going to make the Blogs more important to keep up with the news of our favourites
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks for the updates Doogs and Lai. looking forward to The Truth about Lions and will also look out for the BBC magazine in Feb, if anyones good at remembering it would be great to get a nudge on that one Very Happy

You are right, that is not good news about BCD. I loved the new format of BCL but I am wondering if that didn't go as well as BCD and that has hampered the decision to do another series, I know a lot of people didn't like the new format and I am wondering if they are balancing everything against that.
It is very sad and yes WS it will make the blogs more important and everyone on here who is going to the mara this year.......no pressure on pics and info then guy's Very Happy
I just wish the BBC would have some more sense and stop some of the rubbish they do show and make and put the monies into another series of BCD.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:37 am

J & A have updated twice on 21st January

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:17 am

Great update Lai, and that gives us another piece of Marsh pride history
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Yes, to be honest the Clawed/Claude name thing was explained to me by SK and Clawed is quite scarred, so I never thought about him as Claude, but glad that Jonathan now has it straight!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next