Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Job Hunting

+3
whitestarling
Laikipia
princesspurplehippy
7 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Job Hunting - Page 6 Empty Re: Job Hunting

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:50 pm

It went well, thanks for asking

The manager was a bit shocked and said I don't have to give a week notice as my contract said as long as I finish my work this week. This means I have to go in tomorrow but thats not bad. I definitely feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulder and I am all ready for my hols in York next week with no worries
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:58 pm

Glad you got it sorted PPH and how brilliant you don't have to do the weeks notice, you can enjoy your holiday now as you say. Tomorrow will go quickly i'm sure and then all being well (which i'm sure it will be) RSPB here you come Job Hunting - Page 6 71418 Job Hunting - Page 6 71418

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:26 pm

I have my interview at the RSPB tomorrow, quite nervous and trying to write a 5-10 min presentation on what I would do to motivate our home based volunteers that I would be working with.

So far all I have is that you need to keep them updated and make them feel like they are an important part of the charity and that you are always available to talk to them and help
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Would you like us to throw some ideas around PPH. You dont have to use them, but it could give you some ideas
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:59 pm

that would be quite cool, I have a lot of ideas but its how to put it down and make sense out of it really
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Here is what I have so far, these are just bullet points which I will expand on

1) Be clear on goals

Make sure you are all 'singing from the same hymn sheet' so that they feel like they are part of the group

2) Getting to know you

Find out their strengths, weaknesses, their reasons for helping and what time they have available

3) Communicate Regularly

Get feedback from them and make them feel valued, make time to call them up and make sure everything is alright and that they need anything. Some people may need more time than others

4) Be honest and positive

Tell them what things they can expect to do and the time it will take up and be positive but honest about their fears

5) Delegate

If they want more responsibility and you think they have to the skills to do it then let them.

6)Don't procrastinate

Strike while the iron is hot and their enthusiasm is greater but don't put to much on them to begin with as this will de motivate

7) Address concerns quickly

8 ) Be thankful and appreciate

A thank you is always the easiest and best way to make someone to feel wanted. Organise special events as a special treats after a great job done

9) Enjoy

If you're not having fun then they won't either
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:39 pm

That seems pretty comprehensive PPH. No 8 is a really important one a lot of managers rteally miss out on that, a thanks for doing something really boosts a person. One I have thought of is encourage them to come up with ideas, and suggestions.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Thats a good one WS, I might have to add that one on to make it a nice round 10 points
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Good luck with your interview PPH. Got everything X for you, really hope you get it you derserve it after sticking to how you feel about wanting to do the Job
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:16 am

Good luck PPH - hope I'm not too late today.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:34 pm

hi guys

sorry i haven't been on here for a while but I had a little bit of a family emergency. My mum was taken ill while on holiday in southern ireland, she is absolutely fine now but they needed someone to make sure everything was ready for her and her partner to come home. Even though I live 120miles away and my brother lives 5 miles away I am apparently the 'responsible one' out of the two of us and she only trusted me to do everything right.

I did take up my laptop but realised I didnt know the security key or password to use my mum's broadband so was offline while I was there. Anyway all fine and dandy now and back home yesterday.

Firstly I didnt get the RSPB job but I did have another interview with a company that supplies renewable energy systems for private houses/councils/small business so thats another avenue. They are just starting out and they seem a really nice company to work for so fingers crossed
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Sorry to hear your mum took ill PPH, but glad she is OK now.

Really sorry to hear you did not get the RSPB job, you must be very disappointed, but as you said you have another iron in the fire.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Your poor mum PPH, being taken ill is never nice but to be away from home must have been fairly scary. Glad she is ok now and back home. Thats some drive to get to your mums but your mum obviously new you were the person for the job.

So sorry to hear about the job, I know you were really holding out for that, so I feel dissapointed for you but lets hope this other one is a fresh start and it will be exciting to be working with a new company. let us know how it pans out.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your Mum PPH, hope everything is OK now, and really sorry to hear about the RSPB Job we all know how much you were hoping to get it. Never mind their loss will be someone elses gain.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am

Really sorry to hear about your mum PPH, but good news she is okay and you were there for her.

What a shame about the RSPB job but fingers crossed for the other job and as WS says it is their loss.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:30 pm

I had an interview today

It was to work in a customer service team for a software company who supply the software for all the NHS systems. Its only a 3 month position but with a possibility for permanent. It seems that at the moment any queries from hospitals go directly to their tech team who are not known for their customer service skills so they need someone who has experience within that sector.

Its only 3 month trial as they are trying to persuade the management that they need a customer service team and they have been given 3 months to prove this. I've just heard from the agency who gave them my details and apparently they have only seen 2 people for the job and they were impressed with me, so I should find out tomorrow.

OK, not my ideal job but as the pay scale is between £800 - £1800 more a year than what I used to earn and more that the RSPB was offering I think I would be stupid to turn it down even if it is only guaranteed for 3 months. Its based on an industrial estate on the edge of town which will take me about 30 -35 mins to walk there every day which will help with my semi serious attempt to get fit but also I can get my bike fixed and cycle there as there are cycle paths all the way there. Better still as I've not earned a lot this year I will pay hardly any to probably nothing at all in tax on my wages as I would only have earned around the tax threshold
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:56 pm

Good luck on that PPH. May not be your ideal job but as you say it's a job and the money is more and it gets you back into working.
The guy's that help with our queries are all pretty good but I must say that sometimes the software is often the thing that drives us all mad. We have a bunch of guy's that are on site that will come out to you but our calls are logged through a central helpdesk and a lot of stuff that goes wrong or small blips are sorted remotely and they do a good job on what is not always an ideal system.
let us know how you get on tomorrow, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:40 pm

A jobs a job PPH, and with better money, its worth going for. You never know you might come to like it, and its more experience which could help in the future. Good luck for tomorrow
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:16 am

Good luck PPH - fingers crossed for you.

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Any news yet PPH :?: bounce

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:01 pm

no news, the agency called about 4pm to say that they had been calling the HR dept to get news but they hadnt made a decision. So it looks like Monday at the earliest but Ive decided not to worry (too much) and treat myself to a new bicycle

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/7_0_fx_stagger
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Fingers X till Monday then PPH. The Bike looks good, although without a cross bar there woukd be nowhere for me to hang me Boddies Job Hunting - Page 6 40683
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:19 pm

they do a mens version WS and better still you can buy a bag that you can put your boddies in and it hangs over the crossbar
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:26 pm

Hopefully it will be good news on Monday for you. Like the look of the bike. So many more people are riding these days and I think it's a lovley way to get exercise, your making me think of cycling again but i'm not sure I would like to cycle on the busy roads.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm very lucky that we have quite a few parks and canal towpaths literally 5 min walk of the town centre. There are also bike paths along the most busy roads.

I'm not a big fan of riding on the roads but itll help a lot, I did see a lovely bike which they class as their 'heritage' range. Its a proper ladies bike that you would imagine seeing old ladies in the 1930s riding. They have brown leather seats, handlebars and also a brown basket at the front. I'd love to have one of those but the smallest frame they do is a 17inch one. As I am about 5ft2inch they would be way to big for me, the bike I've bought is a 15 1/2 inch which is just a smidge to big but rideable
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next