Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub

+4
Anne-Marie1981
whitestarling
Laikipia
Safari Maiden
8 posters

Page 10 of 33 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 33  Next

Go down

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 10 Empty Re: Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks for all the updates Anne-Marie - and the gorgeous video clip.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 10 Empty Re: Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub

Post  Safari Maiden Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks AM.

It's great to see how this little bear is getting on with the day to day.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Thnks AM for all the updates. Hope seems to be doing really well, and I think they are right to keep contact to a minimum, whilst it's important to know how she is surviving, and what she is eating, the most important thing is she lives her life as she's meant to. It's a tradegy about the number of Bears killed crossing the Road,but it just goes to show what might happen in the Serengeti if the road is built through it. Lets keep our fingers X, and do all we can to keep The Bear Centre in the top 5
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:19 pm

I found it quite upsetting reading about the road kills Sad and they are just the ones they know about! It doesn't bear (no pun intended) thinking about. The same with the serengeti as you said WS! I just cannot see how that can go ahead!! Its so shocking.

I'm starting the update with a photo from yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=6509939&id=263755115498

July 5, 2010 (2:36 PM CDT) After much searching, we found Hope shortly after noon. She looks great but was very bothered by the numerous biting deer flies in the area. She shook her head each time they landed on her ears
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Update July 5, 2010 – 5:57 PM CDTShare
Today at 01:31
Looking for Hope

Hope looking quite innocent - July 5, 2010
Hope did a disappearing act today. We drove all over, climbed hills, and listened. No radio signal. We imagined the worst. We spent an embarrassingly long time looking for her then found her where we started our search in her usual haunts. She ate her food, and we felt peace of mind. We don’t know where she had been or why we couldn’t find her. Only Hope knows, and she’s not telling. She acted totally innocent.

We visited Hope’s grandmother, June. By the time we reached her at midday, she had retreated 40 yards into a cedar swamp to lie in the water. But the signs of her earlier foraging were plain as day. We followed her trail of destruction through a big grassy opening and saw how she had checked log after log, sniffing some and tearing others open for ants. Other foods in the area were blueberries, raspberries, and a little wild lettuce. We didn’t get a dropping to see what she had selected beyond the obvious ant colonies.

With a sunny sky and the temperature in the 80’s F, she couldn’t stay out in the open very long. Her dark fur would soak up too much sunlight, so she had retreated to a swamp to cool off.

Years ago we noticed how briefly bears stayed in open sunlight. On a calm, windless 73-degree day (May 31, 1990) we checked the fur temperature of a foraging bear. The tips of the fur were as hot as 185 degrees where the sun hit squarely on the bear’s back. The bear still had most of its winter coat to insulate the skin from the sun, but heat crept down through 2.3 inches of guard hairs and 1.7 inches of dense under fur to raise skin temperature to 112 degrees. The bear panted as its rectal temperature rose to 103.4. After a half hour in the sun, the bear retreated into the Kawishiwi River to drink. Then the bear stretched out in the shade so its sparsely furred belly made maximum contact with the ground. Four days earlier, we had checked how effectively this reduces body temperature. With an ambient temperature of 74F and a ground temperature of 49.6F, rectal temperature fell from 103.7 to 101.8 in 21 minutes.

What an amazing job Lily’s fans have done to put us in the top five in the Chase Community Giving—and what a challenge it is to stay there with several close behind registering votes like mad too! You are keeping us in the top 5, though, exchanging gift votes with each other and digging up new people to vote—friends, family, and co-workers.

If you are voting for other organizations to earn gift votes for the Bear Center, here are some bear organizations that are far down the list. If you can leave a comment, urge them to vote for the Bear Center and the Wildlife Research Institute.

Endangered Asian Bears:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/943102570-the-international-association-for-bear-research-and-management

Andean Bear Foundation:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/810664911-andean-bear-foundation

Black Bear Conservation Committee:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/721243466-black-bear-conservation-committee

Idaho Black Bear Rehab Inc:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/841395354-idaho-black-bear-rehab-inc

Thank you for all you are doing! What an incredible effort!

—Lynn Rogers and Sue Mansfield, Biologists, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=6513049&op=1&view=all&subj=466231249477&aid=-1&auser=0&oid=466231249477&id=263755115498
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:21 pm

And a nice little status update from today Very Happy that little bear cub is so adorable!! They got the month wrong!!

June 6, 2010 (9:02 AM CDT) Hope found ME this morning. I was homing in on her signal and knew she was very close. Suddenly she was behind me. Good start to the day -- her's and mine!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=6518686&id=263755115498
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:07 pm

I really enjoy the updates and seeing all the gorgeous photos of Hope - she just looks so adorable. I had no idea bears suffered so much with the heat, on reflection i had never really thought about it. Poor things it must be unbearable in the sunshine.

Thanks for posting Anne-Marie.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:56 am

Need to catch up with Hope and Lily when I get in Anne-Marie, run out of time this morning.....how have I missed them?!!!

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 am

What a little star Hope is and what a survivor.

Its great the BBC is now in the Chase top 5. I voted!!!

Thanks for the updates AM.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Update July 6, 2010 – 7:49 PM CDTShare
Today at 03:08
Hope, Lily, and Juliet

Hope with collar
Hope was in her usual area and easy to find this morning—phew! She got her helping of formula, mealworms, grapes, and pecans about 7 AM.

Late morning, we checked on Lily and found her as high as she could climb in a big red pine. We apparently scared her coming in. She soon came down and we took her heart rate (82), changed her GPS unit, checked her breasts (flat), and her estrus status. There is still some enlargement of the genitals but not like there was. Estrus is either over or waning. Her main attention was on the relentless deer flies and horse flies, batting at them, shaking her head, or trying to bite them out of the air. As we checked on her, we grabbed deer flies off her ears. When we showed them to her, they disappeared with a quick flick of her tongue.

One of Juliet's cubs - July 6, 2010
Next stop was Juliet and her 3 cubs. On this hot, humid, sunny day, we found them resting in a densely shaded cedar swamp. We compared Juliet’s cubs (left) to Hope (right), and they are doing about the same.

Again, we felt deep gratitude watching your efforts to keep the Bear Center in the top 5 in the face of stiff competition and your efforts to edge the Wildlife Research Institute upward.

For new readers, to vote for the North American Bear Center, go to www.bear.org and click on Support Us, or click on this link:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/411838192-north-american-bear-center

To vote for the Wildlife Research Institute, go to www.bearstudy.org and click on Support Us, or click on this link:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/237320150-wildlife-research-institute

You need to have a Facebook account and ‘Like’ Chase Community Giving to vote. If you don’t already have a Facebook account, please consider setting one up for the duration of this contest. Have a Facebook savvy friend help you if needed. Your vote will make a difference!

Thank you so much for all you are doing. This will make a big difference for bears.

—Lynn Rogers and Sue Mansfield, Biologists, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Hope
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6525160&op=1&view=all&subj=466777489477&aid=-1&auser=0&oid=466777489477&id=263755115498#!/photo.php?pid=6525160&op=1&view=all&subj=466777489477&aid=-1&auser=0&oid=466777489477&id=263755115498&fbid=442007060498

And one of Juliet's cubs
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6525160&op=1&view=all&subj=466777489477&aid=-1&auser=0&oid=466777489477&id=263755115498#!/photo.php?pid=6525127&op=1&view=all&subj=466777489477&aid=-1&auser=0&oid=466777489477&id=263755115498&fbid=442006640498

Isn't it just fantastic to read that they are doing just as well as each other!! Very Happy

Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Those photos are just so cute - i wonder if the collar is really annoying for Hope?

Lovely to read the update and great that the Bear Centre is in the top 5 Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 10 768480

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks for all the updates AM, just catching up now. Great video you posted at the beginning of the week, she's a right cutie little Hope and doing so well on her own I love you I love you

Does anyone know, ie has it been said by the people watching the bears, what they expect would happen if Lily and Hope came across each other ? Just wondered whether they would be friendly, aggressive or even ignore each other scratch or maybe no-ones knows :?:
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:15 pm

I think they are hoping if they come across each other they would re-unite and this would explain mixed aged litters. I guess its a case of keeping fingers crossed as I'm sure everyone would feel a lot more relaxed if Hope hibernated with Lily.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks AM, here's hoping they do 'bump' into each other and hibernate together cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Just caught up AM those photos are Brill, and its good seems to have developed as much as Juliets Cubs that sounds good news, and would'nt it be fantastic if Lily, and Hope dened together for the winter.
Thanks for keeping us in touch AM
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:08 pm

I was determined to catch up with all the wekends and this weeks news before I went out Anne-Marie.

Like others I was saddened to hear about all the road kills, I so hope that Hope stays away from the road as she doesnt have Lily to teach her to be cautious, but then again Hope is very cautious now so hopefully she will be ok if she ventures near the road.

Gorgous pics and Videos of her, I love the one of her shinning down the tree and then laying at the bottom, so cute. She really is growing and as you say she has lost the light fur around her eyes now.

Juliets cub is beautiful, its so nice to hear about all the other bears as well and at least Lily seems fine as well and briliant news they are still in the top 5, lets hope they get to the top.....fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your hard work in putting up the updates Anne-Marie, it really is appreciated.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks LW, its no problem at all. I know most of us read it all on FB anyway, but its always nice to have all info and pictures to hand :) I really enjoyed reading todays update. Little Hope responding to "its me, bear" but still not trusting until she was 100% sure herself! That must bode well for her future! And what a lovely bear Shylow sounds! Very Happy If Lily does have a litter this year, I hope she stays with them and doesn't cause us this much stress!

Update July 7, 2010 – 7:15 PM CDTShare
Today at 04:51
Lily and Shylow?

8-year-old Shylow
Hope was an easy to find and feed today. She continues to do well. We could see her up a large aspen off in the distance. She responded to “It’s me, bear” by climbing down, but she didn’t come directly to us. She circled way around us until she was sure, then approached confidently.

Lily, however, has us scratching our heads. After reporting yesterday that her genital swell was receding, and after not seeing her with a male for days, we assumed that her attractiveness was over. Wrong. This morning, 423-pound Shylow was following little 172-pound Lily, who wasn’t sure it was a good thing. She ran in spurts, staying at least 30 feet ahead of him. Shylow showed signs of interest by intentionally brushing his scent on bushes and keeping his full attention on Lily. How long this will last, we cannot say. You’d think she would mate, go out of estrus, and stop attracting males, but this has gone on, off and on, for about a month. But, as we said before, after RC lost her cub, she was pursued, off and on, into August. We’re learning.

A little on Shylow, Braveheart’s brother. Shylow is 8 years old, burly, and one of the gentlest males. Not always, though. Somehow, he incurred some nasty facial scars in past mating seasons. The last weight recorded for him last year was 576 pounds on August 10. Now he reappeared after an absence of nearly 11 months with no clue as to where he’s been. We can’t radio-collar this very trusting bear because his neck is larger than his head. When we say 'trusting', we mean Shylow trusts anyone where he expects to see people, and he trusts researchers almost anywhere once he recognizes them.

As calm as he seems where he expects to see people, he is constantly on the lookout for anything unusual. We remember him being surrounded by 6 people who were loudly exclaiming what a beautiful, huge bear he was. Shylow was unfazed by the attention. Everything was as expected. People had always treated him kindly there. Then he spotted someone approaching a hundred yards away from an unexpected direction. He bolted. He wasn’t seen again for a week.

Today, he still had his winter coat, thick and lustrous, and a heart rate of 90 as he calmly sat 10 yards from Lily. When Lily resumed her travels, Shylow resumed his following.

How different this calm encounter with big, wild Shylow was from what people often assume about big males. People who fear bears commonly assume that males are especially fearsome if they are big, are courting females, and have lost fear of people. We haven’t seen any of that and we don’t know any basis for such thought except that the odd predatory bear is more successful in killing people if it is a big male. But in our 44 years experience, the usual assumptions about danger from big males are just further examples of thoughts that make “common sense” but not bear sense.

Thank you again for all you are doing to keep the Bear Center in the running for Chase’s $100,000 and to elevate the Wildlife Research Institute to that level. The race is scary. Some of the lower ranked organizations are roaring up as you and we look for more votes and find it is taking more votes than anticipated to stay in the top 5. We see your votes pour in and think how hard many of you are working to encourage people to help. We can only say thank you. You have become a force that’s making a big difference.

Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 am

Another great update - it must be so interesting for them to be learning so much about these bears now.

Let's hope the voting continues - they need to stay in the top 5.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Shylow really does sound adorable but what is nice is that he trusts the people he knows but when someone appeared from out of the blue he bolted, good on Shylow, you can never be too sure. He really does sound like a fantastic mate for Lily, if only she would trust him, he sounds like a bug cuddly fellow doesnt he.

I'll let you into a secret Anne-Marie, I am a member on FB but I wait for your updates and pics to keep up to date on Hope and Lily Very Happy

And yes to hear that Hope is responding to "it's me bear" is so fanstastic, Lynn and Sue have really turned my doubts from the beginning around.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson1 Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Hope is such a hardy little bear. Great Photos. Carson
Carson1
Carson1

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:24 pm

As i'm sure i've mentioned I've been at Silverstone this weekend so only been able to do the updates now. Sorry about that!

Update July 8, 2010 – 5:21 PM CDTShare
Friday at 02:10
Lily and Hope in same vicinity

Ant and ant pupae cases from Hope's poop - July 8, 2010
This morning, we radio-located Hope in a new area. Perhaps she had been there with Lily or when she was on her own prior to being collared, but we had never found her there. It was private property and we chose not to walk in to feed her there.

Ant still holding pupae case - July 8, 2010
Mid-afternoon, Lily caused a stir by going to Hope’s usual area, making us hopeful for a reunion. We checked for Hope’s signal and found she had returned to that area as well. We could tell from Lily’s GPS readings that she was bedded, so we walked in on Hope to give her the goat’s milk formula. We found Hope 0.2 miles (350 yards) from where Lily was resting. We lucked out and collected a fresh scat from Hope. Sue analyzed it and found it chock full of ant pupae of 2 distinct sizes (see pic left). One pupae case was still tightly in the grip of the worker ant which was carrying it when Hope licked it up (see pic right). Hope isn’t strong enough yet to rip apart logs to get at the ant colonies, but ants also form colonies near the surface of the ground and under moss—which is likely where Hope found these pupae.

As you can imagine, we would be very happy to have Lily and Hope back together. Lily has no milk, of course, but Hope could really use the peace of mind of being with Lily. Hope has had to behave like a yearling newly on its own. She could use a mother to snuggle with and rely on to sense danger while Hope falls into the deep sleep of an exhausted cub. Hope could also use a playmate at this age when play with siblings or mothers is so much a part of most cubs’ lives. Of course we’d keep an eye on Hope’s condition and supplement her diet if necessary, but she would probably cover more ground foraging with Lily than she would cover on her own. She would also have Lily to help rip open logs for ant pupae and pull branches of berries down within reach.

We’re waiting for the day when they actually meet. We hope to witness their interactions and possible reunion.

Just four days left in the Chase Community Giving program. Some of you have worked extremely hard to generate the votes we see. Today, you put the North American Bear Center over 10,000 votes and kept us in the top 5. You put the Wildlife Research Institute over 5,600 votes and kept us in the top 12. We hope enough votes can be found to hold onto those positions—especially the number 5 position.

Have you voted yet?

Vote for the North American Bear Center at: https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/411838192-north-american-bear-center

Vote for the Wildlife Research Institute at: https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/237320150-wildlife-research-institute

Thank you again for all you are doing at this critical time.

—Lynn Rogers and Sue Mansfield, Biologists, North American Bear Center
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Update July 9, 2010 - 9:59 PM CDTShare
Saturday at 04:45
3 Days and Counting!

Hope was off foraging on her own in the boonies today. Lily was across a lake and 1.5 to 2 miles away from her as the crow flies. We checked on Hope’s radio-signal throughout the day, and by 9 PM she had moved closer to a road. We’ll likely be able to reach her with formula, etc., in the morning. We were very glad to get the scat from her yesterday totally filled with wild food—ant pupae.

Some of you saw the whole ants and pupae cases and wondered if Hope had gotten any nutrition from them. However, the pupae cases were empty and the pupae themselves had been totally digested. The ants were ingested only incidentally as Hope licked up the pupae. The worker ant still holding the pupae case was an unexpected find. It was ingested and digested—yet still intact!

With only 3 days to go in the Chase Community Giving Contest, we were glad to see how you are keeping the Bear Center securely in the top 5. It is taking more votes to maintain position than we anticipated, and it’s hard to imagine the amount of work that’s requiring of you—all much appreciated as you can imagine. You are also keeping the Wildlife Research Institute in 12th place. Thank you.

Vote for the North American Bear Center at:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/411838192-north-american-bear-center

Vote for the Wildlife Research Institute at:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/237320150-wildlife-research-institute

Other good things continue to happen thanks to your support. More treats showed up for staff at the Bear Center yesterday. What a joy to feel your support.

We are gradually getting to meet some of you as you visit the Bear Center, and we’re looking forward to the Lilypad Picnic July 30 to August 1.

Thank you again for all you are doing at this critical time.

Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Update July 10, 2010 – 9:31 PM CDTShare
Yesterday at 04:19
A visit from Grandma?

Hope trying to catch a deer fly - July 10, 2010
This afternoon we quickly drove out to Hope’s area because Grandma June was there and we wondered what might happen. Of course, we talked about how cool it would be if Grandma adopted little Hope, but we knew that was highly unlikely. June’s GPS locations showed her to be foraging slowly along a gravel road lined with raspberries. Driving down the road, we didn’t see her and assumed she retreated into cover as we have seen other bears do. Hope was 75 yards into the forest. We wanted to record whatever happened. False alarm. Over the next hour, June drifted directly away from Hope.

We then checked on Hope. By the time we crashed through dense underbrush saying “It’s me, bear,” she was a short way up a tree a few feet from a freshly opened log. The log was soft and very rotted. When she came down, we put a few nuts in crevices in the log to see if she indeed could tear it apart. She did. She hooked her claws into it and threw her weight back. She tore off pieces and dug into the softer interior wood, using her teeth as needed like big bears do. As we watched in amazement, we also noticed again how black she is becoming. More and more black guard hairs are protruding through her brownish cub fur, which will soon be shed.

Speaking of “shed,” the shed you sponsored is done and ready to be painted. A staff member said, “It looks good, too. It will be so good to get the bear food out of the office and into the shed!” The staff will quickly take advantage of the office space to make room for the two summer interns and the Professor of Education who is here on sabbatical for a year.

On another note of thank you, the nuts you’ve been sending have been a godsend. We’ve never had such fresh pecans and hazelnuts to coax bears into letting us adjust their radio-collars and change their GPS batteries (which we have to do every 10 days). The bears strongly prefer your nuts over anything else we can offer. You’ve made our job easier than ever, and little Hope loves them.

Thank you for how you are stepping up to the plate with the voting. With 2 days to go, the suspense is almost over in the Chase Community Giving contest. You have put the Bear Center solidly in the top 5 with 13,025 votes as of this minute. That’s 4,012 votes ahead of 6th place. The way you are finding votes, we believe you will keep us in the top 5 to win $100,000.

At the same time, you have moved the Wildlife Research Institute up to 11th place with 6,911 votes, only 5,071 votes out of the top 5. That sounds like an impossible number of votes to find in only 2 days, but if there were some way to notify all 105,376 Lily fans, it could happen. None of us know how to do that.

Everything seems to be going well.

To vote for the North American Bear Center and keep it in the top 5 the next two days, click here: https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/411838192-north-american-bear-center

To vote for the Wildlife Research Institute and try to move it into the top 5 in the next two days, click here: https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/237320150-wildlife-research-institute

For your spare votes (you can vote for up to 20 organizations), here are some bear organizations.

Endangered Asian Bears:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/943102570-the-international-association-for-bear-research-and-management

Andean Bear Foundation:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/810664911-andean-bear-foundation

Black Bear Conservation Committee:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/721243466-black-bear-conservation-committee

Idaho Black Bear Rehab Inc:
https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/841395354-idaho-black-bear-rehab-inc

In addition, some of the people who have voted for the NABC and the WRI have organizations in the running.

Thank you for all you are doing at this critical time.

And picture Very Happy hehe! She's so cute
https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=238152&id=263755115498&ref=mf#!/photo.php?pid=6559516&op=1&view=all&subj=468540559477&aid=-1&auser=0&oid=468540559477&id=263755115498
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Update July 11, 2010 – 4:32 PM CDTShare
Yesterday at 23:00
Great scat!

yellow-jacket head from Hope's scat
Yesterday we visited Hope twice in an attempt to obtain a scat. Finally, she complied. Of course it contained remains of nuts, grapes, and mealworms from us, but it also contained wild foods. Hope has been a busy little cub. Or, it’s almost time to be saying big cub. We want to figure out how to use a bathroom scale and boards to weigh her, but we are guessing 30 pounds. We’ll see how close that comes to reality. The scat contained some remains of yellow-jacket hornets and crayfish along with seeds from blueberries, dewberries, bunchberries, and wild sarsaparilla. Interestingly, it did not contain seeds from blue bead lily, elderberry, and baneberry, three berries bears don’t eat around here. After the two feedings yesterday, we left her to her own devices today. We don’t want to feed her so much that we inhibit natural foraging.

seeds from Hope's scat
Today, Lynn discovered an email that Sue forwarded to him a month ago. He watched it and was very touched to find a beautiful video and song for his anniversary. It was put together by Madelene Ostrowski and contained comments from 89 of you. Lynn wished Donna were with him to watch it. He forwarded it home so he and Donna can watch it together tonight. Thank you so much.

Actually, there have been many things come including framed pictures, drawings, flowers, and more that deserved special thank-yous that never got written with all that is going on. We deeply appreciate all you do. We hope that you feel our thanks through the airwaves as we do our best to learn and educate about the bears.

It is amazing to see your surge of effort to keep the NABC in the top 5 in the Chase contest as competitors scramble to break into the top 5. You’re coming through. We’re hearing bits and pieces about how hard you’re working to come up with the votes. We are narrowly in 4th place again.

To vote for the NABC, click on this link: https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/411838192-north-american-bear-center

To vote for the Wildlife Research Institute, click on this link: https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/237320150-wildlife-research-institute

Thank you for your continued support of our research and education.

Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 33 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 33  Next