Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub

+4
Anne-Marie1981
whitestarling
Laikipia
Safari Maiden
8 posters

Page 25 of 33 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 33  Next

Go down

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 Empty Re: Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks Lai, at least they were moving when you peeked, they were just very still when I looked and got the photo just before. I will try and have another look later.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 Empty Re: Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub

Post  Safari Maiden Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 pm

The Den is occupied ok but all I get to see these days is a black mass.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks SM. Just had another peek and they are both sleeping, its still a mass of black fur in there Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:30 pm

they are very sleepy, calm before the storm maybe.

on a different note, my real identity has been found out on facebook through Lily and Hopes fan page by Anne-Marie and I promise you I look semi normal

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 40683 Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 40683
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:37 am

Suspect What a Face Laughing

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 pm

Todays update, both were sleeping quietly just now
Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 Den10Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 Den110

Looks like there will be another Cam up. and running, Ted & Lucky. Mind you who wants to watch two fellows sleeping when you can watch Lily, and Hope Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 40683
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks for the update WS - i've also just checked in and they are sleeping. It will be so interesting to see what happens with Hope as well as these new cubs.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:02 am

Checked the Cam this morning, but it was'nt streaming
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:34 am

The problem appears to be in the WLAH-TV shed. We will head there in the morning when it's safer to travel in this bitter cold. It will be a 30 min snowmobile ride in minus 30F temps.

This was the message from Sue this morning. What a time for the camera to go down. I wonder if it has anything to do with the temperatures. Although, as much as I want to see the birth, I think their safety is paramount and I'm not really sure they should be attempting to snowmobile in those temps, especially with a windchill on top of that. I suppose though they really need to see what happens to document it. I just have everything crossed it goes smoothly. I'm worried about Hope.

Hi PPH Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for the info AM. As yousay what a time for it to go down affraid , and it is worrying how Hope will go on, but as you say its not worth risking lives in that sort of weather. I have my fingers X to that everything will turn out OK
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Quick update!! We're up and running!! Woohoo!! Now back to work and listening for noises!! cheers cheers
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:50 pm

WE HAVE TWO CUBS!!!
Hope is being a very good girl, all quiet at the minute. I think she may have a third, I don't know what this means for Hope though as I think they only bears only have three sets of nipples.

Chris has hooked up his laptop to the TV so I can watch on the big screen Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 pm

WoooooooHoooooooo bounce just came on for a quick peek before going to bed and flying off to London in the morning and what brilliant news Anne-Marie. Thanks so much for posting, just off for a quick look. I do hope that little Hope will be ok and not shuved out by Lily and the cubs but I do wonder if she will have three.
What an exciting end to the day cheers cheers cheers
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Little Hope was so lovely making sure Lily was alright and has been a model big sister so far. I'm listening now to the den cam and I hear lots of soothing mummy sounds from Lily and very contented cubs suckling and making cooing noises
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Just got in from working at the Pub, having a quick look, but I'll have to shout Mrs S now , and go onto the Den Cam
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Lily was just moving around, and I could hear one of the Cubs making a noise as though she was trying to feed, but I could'nt get a clear shot
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:22 pm

I think she's done. Two cubs Very Happy Hope has been fantastic. I've seen her a few times. No sign of the cubs though, just sounds Very Happy so cute! cheers cheers
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:38 am

Just caught up with all the excitement Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 71418 what lovely news.

I've just checked the cam and all quiet - i guess Lily, Hope and the two cubs are sleeping now.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:33 am

The Latest Update plus
This is a link to a video of the Birth for those who missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuH5ADPwx3Q,

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 Den11Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 Den111

WS

Last edited by whitestarling on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:46 am

What a read Laughing thanks for posting WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:37 am

Your welcome Lai I might have made the Link above a bit confusing, if you click on the link it is a video of the Birth on its own, not the whole report.
There was a lot of suckling going on just, and it sounded as though the other Cub was trying to get in, and feed as well.
Just got this one shot of Lily I as she moved around

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 We71

WS
PS Just checked again now 6-00pm, and the Buzz is back on the Mic so you cant hear anything, but it all looks peaceful
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks for the update WS. I looked in yesterday after Anne-Marie posted about the birth and all was quiet then a few noises. Haven't checked in today (been in London all day) but will do tomorrow. Good to know Jason survived as well......brave man Very Happy

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:31 am

Checked the cam just now - lots of little cub noises but nothing to see.

Wish I had seen this

"The cubs are less than 24 hrs old and we've already caught a glimpse of them -- and witnessed big sister Hope licking them -- amazing"!
12 hours ago

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 am

Latest Update with Video Links of lily, Hope & the Cubs

[youtube][/youtube]

A day after the births and we’re still wondering how many cubs Lily had. We know there are at least two. That was confirmed with video footage captured at 10:57 PM last night—one cub nursing and one cub squawking. But at 11:29 PM Lily began the same insistent grunting that accompanied Hope’s birth last year and the births yesterday at 1:51 and 3:03 PM. Could Lily give birth to a third cub more than 8 hours after the second? Video can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0pBfeIiVXM. Together, we have the eyes and ears to figure it out.

Today, less than 24 hours after the births, we amazingly caught our first good glimpse of the cubs. At 1:15 PM Lily lifted her head as she faced the camera. Two cubs were clearly visible. Hope surprised us by crowding in to join Lily in licking the cubs. Video can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvu3b--1A48&feature=channel.

Big Sister Hope looks outHope is full of surprises. She’s cut way back on nursing and even looks concerned when the cubs scream. Could she have the beginnings of motherly instinct? Many worried that Hope might harm the cubs or crowd them out. We wondered if Lily might have ‘harsh words’ for Hope as Lily struggled to care for the cubs. But so far all seems to be going well with this mixed-age litter. Last night, Hope’s eyes shone in the back of the den as her head bobbed around when the cubs fussed. Today, she flopped on top of Lily as Lily hovered over the cubs. We wonder what Hope thinks of all of this.

We’re excited to think of all we can learn from this mixed-age litter!

Tonight is another cold night. The forecast is for minus 24F to minus 29F. If these tiny newborn cubs survive tonight, they will have proved they can survive the cold in this family. After tonight, temperatures will be mostly above zero for the coming week.

For more about how black bears care for newborn cubs, check http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/mothers-raise-cubs/73-care-of-newborn-cubs.html.

We met Bob, an avid Lily fan who is blind, at the Bear Center party yesterday. We saw how he sat with rapt attention in front of the speakers listening to sounds from the den. He noticed things happening in the den before we did. Blind from birth, his auditory acuity is far superior to most sighted people. He has offered his assistance in recording sound data from the den cam. We’re looking for someone who could develop a form for him to use that would date-time stamp sound codes as he enters them. If you can help, please email info@bearstudy.orgThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
The terrible whine we hear on sunny days is from the solar panels making more electricity than the charge controller can quietly handle. We can hear the whine coming from the controller when we’re in the shed, and we can all hear it on the den cam video feed captured on sunny days. The Den Cam Team is working on a solution.

Thank you for all you have been doing lately.

—Lynn Rogers and Sue Mansfield, Biologists, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Lily and Hope - The Black Bear and Cub - Page 25 768480 oooooooooh i love these updates and links.

Thanks WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 33 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 29 ... 33  Next