Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk

+6
Anne-Marie1981
Doogs
Laikipia
whitestarling
Safari Maiden
littlewid
10 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 10 Empty Re: Welcome to everyday Lets Talk

Post  Laikipia Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:46 am

Good morning everyone

Another lovely day here - hope everyone has a great day.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  sambuka Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Hi All

I don't get much time to post but I am really enjoying this site, wild about animals is a really nice site with loads of excellent pictures and information.

Doing my clicks and will try and post a little more.

Hope your evening is fun. sambuka
sambuka
sambuka

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Don't worry Sambuka - it's great that you can look in and post when you have time, and lovely that you can click for all these worthwhile causes cheers

Enjoy your evening too.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 pm

good afternoon one and all
from a very windy but sunny tamworth
unfortuneatly not had chance to go ramberling this weekend but will try and get out in the week and take some pics
hope everybody if having a fab if not windswept sunday afternoon

staffslass
xxxxx

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Mmmmmmmmmm it's windy here too - washing just went flying off the line affraid

Look forward to your photos in the week Staffslass.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:19 pm

It's been really windy here in North Wales, the washing as drying as Mrs S put it on the line. Sambuka your doing great on the Forum, thanks for clicking it does make a difference, and we only expect people tp post when they have time, so dont worry about it. I'm glad you like the forum, and are getting information, and enjoyment from it thats why we created it so people who enjoy wildlife no matter what sort would be able to chat to like minded people.

Staffslass you cant get out every Sunday, it's just when you can, and your contributions to the forum since you've joined have been greatly appreciated, it's great to have new members from different parts of the Country, who share their passion for wildlife with us through their Photos, and words
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  sambuka Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks Lai and Whitestarling. Glad to be helping with the clicks and do enjoy looking around the site, just need to find a little more time to post. sambuka
sambuka
sambuka

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14 am

Morning everyone from a dry and windy Cheshire.

The weekend went far too quickly - and sadly Pete saw an American Mink in the river which is really bad news for the water voles. Many years ago some animal activists released them and didnt think of the repercussions for wildlife. We haven't seen them for a while but obviously they were still here, no wonder the water voles have all gone. Such a shame. Please don't be offended i have nothing against the mink but in the right place!

Have a good day wherever you are.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Lai I feel the same, I have nothing personal against the Mink but they are wipping out our water voles. Sometimes animal activists do alot of good but sometimes they are also very misguided and this was one of those cases; I know they were only trying to do good for the Mink but they have caused a huge repercussion for the water vole, it's very sad.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:02 am

I found this link on Water Voles they are a protected species, that is habitat wise, but it does'nt say anything about reporting Mink or how to get rid, the problem is they have no natural predators, although I'm sure I've heard or seen a programe where Otters in a habitat will keep them away.
http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/urbanwt/ecorecord/bap/html/vole.htm
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks WS - i am not sure, i guess we can try with a trap but i need to look into that. Even with a humane trap then what do you do? You can't release it/them further down the river, and i am not sure if the RSPCA or similar would take them. A problem i think scratch

American Mink - Mustela vison

The mink is a medium-sized member of the weasel family. The first American mink were brought to British fur farms in 1929 and all wild mink in Britain today are descendants of escapees. The natural wild colouring is a glossy dark brown, appearing almost black in some light. Commercial farming selectively bred much paler colours, hence most of those in the wild in Britain are a lighter brown.
Mink spend up to 80% of their time in their dens, sleeping, grooming and eating food they have carried home. Frequently found near water, they are often mistaken for otters, although mink are in fact considerably smaller.
Mink are a major factor in the decimation of the water vole population, because they are small enough to follow their prey down its burrow.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 am

Been checking on this for you Lai, and this is the Legal position, when you have captured a Mink
Wetlands for People and Wildlife
 The best time of day to check traps is early morning (mink, and many other waterside animals are
most active at night). Removing animals in the morning ensures that they suffer the least exposure to
light and heat during the day.
 If it is not possible to check traps on a particular day, ensure that the entrance is pegged open on
the preceding day (rather than removing the trap).
 Some landowners install a small flag device which triggers when the trap is activated. This can be a
visual aid to show when traps are occupied.
 Non-target species (e.g. otter, water vole, stoat etc) must be released.
 Consideration must be given as to how other pest species are dealt with (e.g. brown rats) if caught.
 Once a mink has been caught, it is illegal to release it back into the wild, or keep it
captive without a licence.
Dispatching mink
 The only accepted way to kill captured mink is a clean shot through the head
 Shooting should be done with a 0.22 calibre rimfire rifle, powerful air gun or shotgun (note that
many firearms require a licence or certification).
 Bullets with re-enforced tips are also recommended.
 To make shooting easier, use a wooden “comb” to corner the animal in one end of the cage.
 The body should be buried in an appropriate location, unless frozen for research purposes.

This is the link to the site
http://www.sussexotters.org/pdf/Mink%20Control%20for%20Wildlife%20Conservation.pdf

Now thats a problem for some one who loves wildlife, it's not the Minks fault it does what comes naturerly, but all the other wildlife suffers, because humans intervened in the first place
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks for that WS - i have PM'd you

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:46 pm

What a hectic day it is turning out to be.

Everytime I get on to have a look I have to stop and go back to work!!! Wonder what I get paid for lol.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:17 pm

HI Guy's

It's late to be saying Hello, I've got the housework bug, I was cleaning alot over the weekend and been at it again this evening.....think its because its been so hot Bentleys been shedding hair like mad, he does anyway with his Lupus but just lately i'm finding it hard to keep up......I could've sold puppies with the amount of hair he's shed What a Face

Off out round a friends for coffee tomorrow evening and a good old natter and then on Friday i'm goin got another friends t take Nero and her dog Poppy up the park for a run and then back for coffee, she has just had alot of work done to her house so I think a good nosey is also in order......i'm sure all the girlies on here will understand that Very Happy

It's been getting cooler here of late which is nice, much better for walking the boys, tonight they met up with Poppy a 13 year old Boxer, who decided she didnt want to walk with her owner, she was going to stick with the boys which pleased them and then Nero met his girlfriend Ruby, a little Spaniel who is just a bit older than Nero......the boys definiately had the ladies tonight Wink

Hope everyone has had a good day.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Mmmmm I typed and thought I'd posted a 'war and peace' effort on here but I look and I can't see it, oh well Crying or Very sad

It is now time for Sleep so I'll catch up and re-post tomorrow cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:12 am

Don’t know what happened to my post last night, perhaps in my tiredness Sleep I pressed the wrong button, very frustrating !! scratch

Nice day up in Aberdeen, warm, dry and slightly overcast. My boss is on holiday for a fortnight so I’m sorting out the filing, fun – not ! No

Was down at the Perth Game Fair Saturday past and had a good day. After studying the weather we went on the Sat and picked the right day as it was lovely sunny whereas Sun was quite heavy rain. Managed to spent a few of my hard earned pennies on a jacket, boots and some jewellery, there were some lovely stalls. In the main ‘arena’ the stars of the show were the Gun Dog Display, guy with all colours of Labs and some spaniels, great fun to watch.

Day was spoiled slightly by my back being really bad at the moment, I currently resemble the Hunchback of Notre Dame !! Crying or Very sad After being on my feet all day my back started going into spasms every time I sat then stood up again, not fun and rather painful pale I’m well cheesed off as this has been ongoing for over 3 years now (after falling off a horse) and this past week and a half is the worst it’s been for a long time and I’ve no idea why it’s been like this. I’m only forty but feel like I’ve got the body of a pensioner, used to be fit, healthy and play a lot of sports, not any more No Got the hospital tomorrow for a check up and I’ll tell you they are going to get what for as I partly blame them for this after them failing to tell me about the 2 fractures I had in my back after I was x-rayed, took 10 months to find out and it was through my doctor checking the hospital records Evil or Very Mad Right rant over, sorry about that folkies Embarassed Embarassed

Out tonight for a nice meal to an Italian Restaurant that Ian and I have been to a few times. Its dads 65th birthday today so the family is all going out to celebrate :)

Looking forward to having the house to myself this weekend as Ian is heading to Fort William on Friday to join up with a bunch of friend’s fm Plymouth. Together they are climbing Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon in the space of 24 hours !! affraid They have a bus & driver to take them between places, stopping in Chester on Saturday night for something to eat before heading off in the small hours down to Plymouth. Ian flies back home on Monday afternoon. Apart fm going to Perth on Sunday for the racing with my mum & dad it will be a nice quiet weekend for me – watching what I like on the TV or DVD !! cheers

Enjoy your night tonight LW with your friend, always good to catch up and that walk and nosey on Friday sounds good - yes us women do understand Very Happy That was soo cute that Poppy wanted to be with the four legged variety as opposed to her owner, bless her I love you I love you

Right that’s all my news, sorry again for moaning about my back, needed to get that off my chest !!

Have a good day all, Doogs x cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Doogs! Do not worry about moaning!! I think you have every right to and it always help to let of steam!!! It is absolutely shocking that they didn't tell you about the fractures!! I would be furious!! My back problems are nothing in comparison, but I understand how you feel! When mine was at its worst every movement set off a spasm. Luckily as I used to work at Northants Cricket Club I was able to pop and see the physio!! I hope your check up goes ok! Have they given you any exercises to do?

Isn't it lovely when you can get the house to yourself for a bit of a me time? Very Happy Love being able to watch what I want when I want!!

Right, I've just been told me car is ready so I am off to pick it up Very Happy didn't fancy walking home at lunch time!! lol!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:44 pm

That sounds awful Doogs, poor you, i really hope they can do something about your back. Not something i know anything about, but it certainly doesnt sound right that you are still suffering with it.

The Game Fair sounded fun - all those gorgeous gun dogs. Ian must be affraid to do all that in 24 hours, What a Face at least you can have a weekend doing whatever you feel like - bliss! Enjoy your meal out, i love Italian, its always good.

As for filing - mmmmmmmmm. My favourite is file 13 (the bin) saves so much time jocolor

Hope your car's okay now Anne-Marie.

Its raining here so just got wet coming home with the dogs - off to dry out my afro

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Just off out but wanted to say hello to everyone.

Doogs that is not good about your back, fractures can be hard to detect in the elderly but in the young they are pretty prominant, so pretty rubbish of the hospital.
Hope your appointment went well and if you need to chat afterwards about anything your not sure of just give me a PM, i'm dealing with spinal fractures and the consequences all day, all part of the day job, so seriously I am here if you want to run anything by me or ask any questions, please dont be affraid to ask.
I hope you have a great evening tonight and wish your Dad Happy Birthday drunken

Funny you mention a Gun Dog Display, on the 17th of this month I have entered Nero into our vets Companion Dog show, its in aid of the Greek Animal Rescue who the vets do alot of work with and its part of the Broadwater carnival, Nero is entered into the fun section, I wouldnt enter him into the world of competitive Pedigree shows, we are going for the laugh and a good day out, he is entered into the waggiest tail.....the boy could take off with his tail.....and the handsome Dog.....he is handsome to me and all the lady dogs seem to love him but I bet theres some even younger Dude there to steal his thunder lol! it will be a laugh anyway.

Thank god I dont have to do filing.....have a really brill secretary that does that.....when she is on holiday I go into affraid mode.....Big Time......I have to remember my Alphabet What a Face

I'm rambling away here so I had better silent and get myself out before I meet myself coming back as they say.

Have a good evening everyone and remember Doogs i'm here if I can help at all.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Doogs that really is bad news about your back, and for it to have gone on so long. As I've said before I was bad with sciatica, and still have trouble now. So I know it's no fun, and how painfull backs can be. I hope the Hospital, finds something to help.I did eventualy get to go for physio, and that has helped. Dont worry about moaning, you moan all you want if it makes you feel better.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:38 am

Overcast day today, but still warm!

Doogs the Game Fair sounded fab, but your poor back. I sympathise with you. TT has herniated disks with partial removal and gets very bad back pain as well.

I hope you had a lovely meal last night.

Off to do some work now, its been getting busier in here. Ever since they made more people redundant Im now getting the easy technical stuff to do even though Im a lowly secretary. And yes I hate filing too!

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:10 am

Behind every successful person there is a brilliant secretary SM - lol!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:53 pm

I second that Lai, I couldn't do my job half as well without my secretary, secretarys are life savers at work and no-one should ever say they are just a secretary, its often the secretary that keeps the wheels turning.......and she spots all my typos lol!

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Your right there LW nobody should ever say their just or I'm only, unless people are looking for someone to blame
WS lol!
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next