Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marsh Pride Updates

+9
Minty
melis262
Jontsu
loveromeo
littlewid
Safari Maiden
Laikipia
Doogs
Anne-Marie1981
13 posters

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Marsh Pride Updates - Page 10 Empty Re: Marsh Pride Updates

Post  whitestarling Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Photo of Clawed, posted by Onesmus Ole Irungu who works at Masai Mara on FB

Marsh Pride Updates - Page 10 Wa12

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  PETER BISSET Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:41 am

That photo of Clawed was on the 16th. The Romeo debate goes on, Jackson is quite certain he has caught up with Romeo, but the lion in question looks a bit too young and healthy. I think I will defer to Jackson as he knows what he is talking about but I have doubts.

PETER BISSET

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 am

Hello Peter,
This is a strange situation with all the disagreement on Romeo I admit, but I asked Jackson myself if he was sure and he responded with a new blog post. He has no doubt who he is looking at it seems. The only one at this point that can change my mind is Jonathan. As yet I've heard he's only seen pics, like us, and they are the experts. The best possible situation in my mind is for them to find this pictured male together and either agree it's Romeo, or agree it's not. For now I've gotta go with Jackson, as he's seen him in person.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 am

Your right Peter it was posted on the 16th, just thought I would put on here in case anyone had'nt seen it. I'm with Ronnie on this, and agree that unless Jonethan sees the Lion, and says it's not Romeo, then I believe Jackson.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 am

Poor old Clawed, he looks awful, full of mange. Thanks for posting the photo WS.

Re Romeo, I am still in two minds. I am with Jackson as he knows the lions well but I would also defer to Jonathan totally if he gets the opportunity to see Romeo (or not Romeo) as he has studied lions for years and for sure would be able to tell.

I guess we have to wait and see - Jonathan's back in the Mara this week so let's wait for an update.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  PETER BISSET Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 am

Put it this way guys, I was fairly sure it wasn't Romeo but given Jackson's blog and the fact that he saw the lion and knows alot more than me I have to assume Jackson is right.
As for Clawed, I know a few of you from the facebook page and if there is 1 lion I absolutely adore it is the old boy Clawed. Clawed gets an emotional response from me similiar to what most ppl give to rockstars. Except in Clawed's case he truly is a star. When he does finally leave us his story will endure. He may not be a Notch in terms of looks but he has that lionheart which fascinates and somewhat haunts us humans.
Be well,
Pete

PETER BISSET

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:09 pm

I Agree Peter. Clawed is another true star, and although he looks awful at the moment, he shouldn't be written off.

At the moment there is almost too much information flying around re Romeo - we all want it to be him so much. Jackson really does know his big cats so I am still backing him on this.

ps thanks for FB 'friend' request - all done cheers

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting here - funeral on Friday, dance in Dunblane on Saturday, home late afternoon on Sunday then straight over to my mum & dads for Sunday dinner so it's been all go.

I did post a bit on Jackson's thread about all this - it's him, it might not be, it is !!! Just skimmed through all the replies on this thread, I'm going to have to read it in more detail later at home as my lunch is now finished !!!

Doogs lion cub
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Well before I've even had the chance to read all the threads since my last post on here I am afraid the story of Romeo and Clawed has taken the worst turn today.

Reports on FB and on J&A's Blog are that Clawed is dead Crying or Very sad Sad

J&A - "Just in from a fascinating afternoon – straight off the plane from Nairobi and heading for our cottage at Governor’s Camp. Greeted by our old friend Moses – of “Moses Rock” fame (Zawadi’s the leopard’s special place where Serian Camp is now situated) from when he was spotting for the leopard team and Big Cat Diary. Moses greeted us with the news that he and our friend Patrick Reynolds of Governor’s Il Moran tented camp – and its manager and walking guide – had earlier in the day driven to a spot not far from the Mara River beyond the Reserve boundary (north of the main road from Aitong to Mara Bridge) and north of Mara Rianta School. The purpose of their safari was to check out a report that an old male lion had been speared to death – some say he had been found inside a boma. The male was old, emaciated and with all four canines worn down and his lower incisors missing and mane thin and lacking in bulk. Patrick and Moses both agreed that this was Clawed. Certainly the circumstances and location seemed to fit – an old male lion, half-starved and looking for easy prey and a respite from the pressure of trying to avoid other lions. With no alternative but to seek out livestock – or even a human victim would be the worry – a child perhaps – an old lion however weak is a potentially lethal ‘killing machine’. Machine is not to meant in any way to diminish the life of these old animals – we are full of admiration for them and their indomitable spirit of survival – their determination to cling to life until their last breath is stilled".

After all that Clawed has been through it's so so sad that his life has ended this way. To contradict that though, I'm glad he didn't starve to death and die a slow, painful death Crying or Very sad

RIP Brave, Beautiful Lion, we will always remember you.

Doogs Sad
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Just seen it on J&A's Blog, and commented there. At least he did'nt suffer a long painful death, or was hunted down by Hyena's, in the end perhaps it was for the best. He's had a long painful struggle for some time now, and without the protection of the Marsh Pride he would have gone before now. At least he's now at peace, and wont suffer anymore
RIP Clawed, and thanks for the pleasure of sharing your life
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 pm

I agree completely WS. I saw the news over on J&A's site as well. As I said over there his loss is bittersweet. Sorry to have lost an old friend, but glad the suffering has now ended. It seems to me a more fitting end for him to have been killed this way than to starve to death, or be ripped apart by hyenas. One thing is for sure, Clawed will live on in ours, and many others thoughts.

RIP Clawed.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Just a few pictures of Clawed that I took in September last year.

Was it fate we saw him & Romeo for the first time last year on our 4th visit to the Mara -
I think it was I love you

Marsh Pride Updates - Page 10 Clawed13

Marsh Pride Updates - Page 10 Clawed14

Marsh Pride Updates - Page 10 Clawed15

Marsh Pride Updates - Page 10 Clawed16
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks Doogs, very appropriate today. Been over on BIGCATFANZ on FB and some of the posts there are wonderful concerning Clawed. Nice to know how many people there are that care about these great wonders of nature.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Great to see your photos of Clawed again Doogs, and as you say it really could have been fate that you saw him at last before he went to the big savannah in the sky
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PETER BISSET Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:38 am

Being in a wheelchair and having no family I drew inspiration from Clawed. I was amazed to see him limping around yet still a pride male and for such a long time. He and Romeo kept on beating the odds and even when their time was up they showed their spirit by marching in to battle in a hopeless fight. I shall miss you Clawed, you are much loved.

PETER BISSET

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 am

RIP Clawed gone to the great savannah in the sky - one amazing magnificent lion who will be sadly missed.

I'm so sorry to hear the news confirmed but agree with you all, a better way to die I think rather than starve to death or be eaten by the hyenas.

Life out there is very harsh indeed.

I'm happy to report Pete and I saw him when we were there in September, that's how I shall remember him, relaxing and looking well.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:54 pm

That's really touching to hear that Clawed gave you inspiration Peter - well done you Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:54 pm

I have really mixed emptions at the moment, I didn't realise this was the news I was going to read tonight as I missed it yesterday, I am a bit stunned.

I hope the spear killed him instantly and he did not suffer, Clawed did not deserve to suffer, to me Clawed and Romeo are great ambasadors for lions, just like our loveable Notch.
I pray his end was swift and he is now at peace and will no longer live in fear of being attacked by Hyena or Lion or Human.
I will remember Clawed so fondly and respect the force that he and Romeo were.

Sleep Peacefully beautiful Clawed, forever you will be remembered and loved. I love you

Peter I think our Lions give us all inspiration, to survive they have to battle on every day and overcome the odds that are thrown at them. It is lovely that Clawed has given you inspiration and I am sure you will continue to hold him dear to you and the Lionheart that is obviously within you will continue to battle with pride.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Hello All,
I just checked out BIGCATFANZ on FB and there is one of the last pictures taken of Clawed posted. If you haven't already seen it, just be prepared. It is him feeding on the Buff carcass and you can see another pride male in the pic. Sure looks like the same damage on Jackson's male from the other day.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:25 am

Pride, Courage, and a never say die attitude. I can see where you got your inspiration from Clawed, Peter
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello all,

Just saw a post from Warren on FB that he and Jonathan are almost convinced the dead lion is Clawed, but not 100% just yet. Still it seems pretty definate.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks for that Ronnie - going for a quick FB check.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:11 pm

If Jonathan is almost 100% sure it's Clawed then I suppose we have to accept it is, if he and Jackson are sure then thats our sad answer. Sad

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks Ronnie just had a look, seems pretty certain it's Clawed
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PETER BISSET Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am

I read that some guides think it isn't Clawed but this time I am certain they are wrong.

PETER BISSET

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next