Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

+3
Safari Maiden
Laikipia
whitestarling
7 posters

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 Empty Re: Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

Post  Doogs Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 pm

From Jonathan's FB Page - 09/01/2013

"Everyone has an opinion on the much maligned Spotted Hyena – but you have to admit that hyena cubs (cubs not pups – hyenas are more closely related to cats than dogs) have a charm all their own. And just like us humans, hyenas become a bit ...raggedy as they age though they are nonetheless fascinating creatures to watch in the wild. And it is the females that dominate life in hyena society – just like in human society! Margaret Thatcher would have approved, no doubt about that – alpha females are not only considerably bigger than their male counterparts but if you happen to be the offspring of an alpha female (whether a male or female cub) then life will be a lot easier in moving to the front of the line!

Angie certainly got the light right in her lovely portrait of this mother and cub early one morning at a hyena den in the Mara. So next time you are out looking for big cats spend some time with the hyenas for an insight in to these remarkable social carnivores. Estimates for Mara are around +600 spotted hyenas – and +200 lions.

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 Hyena10
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 Empty Re: Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog

Post  Doogs Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:18 pm

From Jonathan's FB Page - 10/01/2013
Our good friend Oli Dreike who is currently based at the Four Seasons Lodge near Seronera in the heart of the Serengeti National Park just sent us the following link flagging the fact that "Zambia has banned the hunting of lions and leopards due to the rapid decline in its numbers of big cats." Check out the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20969868

Zambia's tourism minister was quoted as saying"Tourists come to Zambia to see the lion and if we lose the lion we will be killing our tourism industry," she told Reuters, commenting that there was more value in game-viewing tourism than blood sport. Neighbouring Botswana is reported to be banning all sport hunting from 2014, while Kenya halted trophy hunting in 1977. Arguments in favour of sport or trophy hunting as a conservation measure have met a diminishing positive response in recent years, due in no small part to poor management of the industry in some countries along with unrealistic quotas - and abuses of the regulations governing good practice in the hunting industry.

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 Lion10
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:55 am

Thanks Doogs. Oli was at Mfuwe when we were there and it was his last week. A great guy and lots of fun. Good to know that Zambia and taking a firm stance.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:14 pm

cheers At last some conservation good news, it finaly looks as though some Countries are waking upto the fact that they need their big cats, and its in their own interest to do something about saving them
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 pm

I Agree WS Wink
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:45 pm

From Jonathan's FB Page:
Hi Everyone - just finished the new edition of The Leopard's Tale which will be published in August 2013 - just in time for the annual UK Bird Fair at Rutland Water (16th to 18th Aug 2013). We will be speaking at that event and showing our images - and signing copies of TLT too! Look forward to catching up with you then. Best from us both - Jonathan and Angie

The Leopard's Tale
featuring Half-Tail and Zawadi, stars of Big Cat Diary
By Jonathan Scott and Angela Scott
New edition coming soon: July 2013.
Paperback, 240 pages
16pp colour 2 maps
Published: July 2013
ISBN: 9781841624792
Format: 198mm x 130mm

Almost everyone on safari hopes for a glimpse of the charismatic and elusive leopard. Chui was the first of a new generation of leopards Jonathan Scott watched and photographed in Kenya's Masai Mara Game Reserve in the 1970s and 1980s. He spent every available moment watching and photographing Chui and her cubs, Light and Dark, aware that he was only privileged to do so for as long as they chose to remain visible. His classic account tells the story of the mother leopard as a solitary hunter providing for herself and her offspring. He records encounters with baboon, hyaena and man, hazards facing the cubs as they learn to fend for themselves and periods of play and relaxation. Some years after Chui disappeared, a young female appeared, Half-Tail. Jonathan and Angela have followed her and her daughter Zawadi, stars of the BBC's Big Cat Diary, for the past twenty years, bringing the story up to date. Nobody has studied leopards more closely or known them more intimately

Jonathan says: 'The update is based on our work with Half-Tail and Zawadi from both the pictures and text perspective - Angie worked with us on Big Cat Diary as the stills photographer from 1996 and before that we both worked with Half-Tail from the time she first appeared around Leopard Gorge and Fig Tree Ridge - our kids grew up on safari with Half-Tail and Zawadi as stars of their own Mara adventures.'

Series: Bradt Travel Guides (Travel Literature)

About the Authors
Jonathan and Angela Scott are award winning wildlife and travel photographers, and the only couple to have won as individuals the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award. Jonathan Scott's television presence has blossomed since his early days as a presenter on American television. He has presented his own television series for the BBC, including Big Cat Diary and has also presented wildlife stories for Wild Things, an American television series.

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 Leopar10
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 768480 Doogs. That is a must for me being a big leopard fan.

Thanks

Lai leopard in Tree
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 am

I've just had an e-mail from Jonathan and thought I'd share a short update with you.

Just been in Mara for three days - lions grabbed a buffalo and then three male lions came in and stole the girls (on the Ridge) kill and beat up their cubs - one really badly injured. Ferocious wasn't the word for it. Marsh Lions with 11 cubs including 2 little ones for Bibi - a martial eagle was seen feeding on a young cub not so long ago! 4 Musketeers still lording it in the Marsh. Green, sunny and stunningly beautiful.

Life in the Mara is just so wonderful, sad for the cub though.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for sharing Lai. Thats life on the Mara as you say, wonderful to see, but you have to take the good with the tough, because thats how it works. I wonder if that was the Ridge Pride Jonathen saw, and it was the Prides Males taking the kill. It seems strange to beat up their own Cubs, but it does'nt sound like a takeover either.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm sure he'll do an update on his blog with more info and then we'll have a better idea WS

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Looks like Jonathen was'nt on his own Lai. This from Kircha Camps on FB

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 114

More photos on this link
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kicheche-Camps/181930701860088
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:49 am

I saw that on FB WS and thought the same thing, in the Mara you are never on your own, always lots of vehicles What a Face Rolling Eyes

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Nice of JS to send you that email Lai Cool Lots of cubs with the Marsh Lions just now, shame they had to lose one to an Eagle Sad

Thanks for the Kicheche update and link WS. Loved their title "St Valentines Day Massacre" !!!! affraid Laughing
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I Agree Doogs, he's brilliant at keeping in touch Very Happy

Another update

http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/main/wordpress/category/blog/

And I for one am really looking forward to A Leopards tale

Hi Everyone – just finished the new edition of The Leopard’s Tale which will be published in August 2013 – just in time for the annual UK Bird Fair at Rutland Water (16th to 18th Aug 2013). We will be speaking at that event and showing our images – and signing copies of TLT too! Look forward to catching up with you then. Best from us both – Jonathan and Angie
The Leopard’s Tale
featuring Half-Tail and Zawadi, stars of Big Cat Diary
By Jonathan Scott and Angela Scott

New edition coming soon: July 2013.
Paperback, 240 pages
16pp colour 2 maps
Published: July 2013
ISBN: 9781841624792
Format: 198mm x 130mm

Lai http://i77.servimg.c
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 768480 Thanks Lai. Thats a great update. I agree with Jonathen about DA's comments on the human population, we read more, amd more about habitat loss for more, and more species around the world. As DA says the world is finite, and as humans we are monopolising its space more, and more. Contreversial I know, but the human race needs to do something, before as again DA says Mother Nature does it for us
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 pm

So true WS. DA sums it up so well!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks Lai

Love that picture and a very interesting read :study: You have commented previously on here of those words spoken by DA Lai.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 pm

I did indeed Doogs. DA is my all time hero and it is from him I have been inspired to love and appreciate wildlife. So in my mind what he says is always worth listening too.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 pm

I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree I Agree
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:56 pm

The World of the Sabertooth - 3rd March

Jonathan and Mauricio Anton combine their extensive knowledge and artistry to bring the Sabertooths back to life through their first hand experience of modern day big cats.

A fascinating 3 minute clip, well worth watching.

http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/main/wordpress/2013/03/the-world-of-the-sabertooth-2/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks for the link Lai, it is worth watching. Some wonderful shots of the lions / leopard / cheetah and also interesting info about the Sabretooth, must have been a rather strange looking animal in its time with those amazing teeth.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Jonathan & Angela Scott's Blog - Page 15 768480 Thanks Doogs. I'm going to read that twice, at least so I can take it all in! It's all go in the Mara.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:13 am

Update from J & A 9th March

Leopard Gorge (1981): Chui and her Cubs, with guest appearance from Zawadi

http://www.jonathanangelascott.com/main/wordpress/2013/03/leopard-gorge-1981-chui-and-her-cubs-with-guest-appearance-from-zawadi/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:54 pm

WOW That brings back some memories Lai, it really looks as though the new book is going to be a cracker. That might be a good update to put Ghosts question on whether the female Leopard at the Gorge at the moment is related to Zawadi, although I doubt it as usualy the offspring are pushed out of the territory once they are old enough
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next