Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Members Introductions

+38
WMTravellers
cruciger
atb224155
cloudy
Trackerintraining86
mickeysutube
melikr
ForWildlife
tigerfan2013
Cremecat
redparka
gregrowlerson
blue river
Safariman
cheetahlover
AfricaInside
allaboutsongs
Mara Mad
radhu
Dnyanada Kulkarni
simbat
LalaPetush
RMorr50912
redroxy888
xxx leopard crasey xxx
svisak
Tarangire_Trekker
markymarc1979
tatyana
liongirl92
wilderness
tigermilk
minnie87
Anne-Marie1981
Monica
Doogs
princesspurplehippy
Safari Maiden
42 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 6 Empty Re: New Members Introductions

Post  Laikipia Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Hello Dnyanada and welcome to WAA. I'm glad you've found us. As WS says please ask for help if you need to we are all happy to help.

There is a whole section on DWST and we all love eles especially Anne-Marie. DSWT also update regularly on Facebook so I am sure you'll be able to see more photos of Kibo.

Where abouts in India are you from? It is a very beautiful country which i've been lucky enough to visit several times, sadly I've never seen a tiger though.

It must have been very sad for you to have to part with your kitten when you returned to India.

Enjoy looking round the forum, there are so many sections and different threads, you'll find plenty to interest you!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Hello Laikipia!

I'm very glad to have found this forum. I will not hesitate to ask for help when I need it. You all have made me feel very welcome right from the day I joined. Thank you! :)

I found the section on DSWT here on WAA. Its absolutely wonderful. As you can see, I am very fond of elephants. :) I regularly keep track of the updates from the DSWT on facebook. Yesterday itself I received the updates for the month of January. I am very pleased to learn that Kibo is doing well and so are the other eles!

I'm from Maharashtra. I live in Pune. Its nice to know that you have been to India. What all places did you visit? :) And where are you from? :)

You can see tigers at Ranthambhore national park, Bandhavgarh National park, Panna Tiger Reserve and Corbet wildlife national park. :) I really hope you get to see loads of tigers, especially The Royal Bengal Tiger, the next time you visit. They are such regal and strong beings!

It was indeed heartrending to part from my kitten. He is a very active and intelligent animal. I've had loads of kittens before but he was my favorite! When I rescued him, it was clear from his body language that he was an abandoned kitten dumped in the parking lot of a building. His piteous mews could be heard in my apartment which is a block away from the building where he was found. But I am sure he is doing well now. I am sad I could not do more for him myself but now he has a home which is bigger than the one I had in Dubai, so I'm glad for him. :)

This forum really has wonderful sections on animals! I am thoroughly enjoying myself looking around. Just saw some photos of lion cubs. :)

Dnyanada

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Dnyanada

I've visited India 3 times. First time to Rajasthan and around that area including Agra and the Taj Mahal, which is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life, no photographs can ever do it justice it is so magical. Second time up to Derha Dun and Shimla and third time to Assam and Kaziranga National Park and along the Bhahmaputra river on a small boat - India is a very beautiful country with so much to see and we hope to go back one day.

We saw some lovely wildlife in Kaziranga but sadly no tigers!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:17 am

Hello Laikipia!

The Taj Mahal is indeed breath-taking! I still have not had the opportunity to visit Agra. Sadly, the monument is deteriorating due to pollution, acid rain and several other environmental issues which are responsible for turning the pure white marble into yellow. But thankfully measures are being taken to prevent further damage and I hope it will soon be restored to its original dazzling white beauty! :)

Kaziranga National Park is well known for housing the one horned Great Indian Rhinoceros so I am sure you must have seen plenty of those beautiful creatures. :) Recently, they have introduced elephant safaris and a river cruise along the entire park. You can book for the same online, I guess. Its rather sad that you did not get to see any tigers then. The places I mentioned before are some of the best if you wish to see tigers. Hope you get to visit soon and see the Royal Bengal Tiger. I love them too. :)

Where are you from? :)

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:00 pm

We hope to visit India again one day, possibly on a photographic safari and definitely searching for tigers.

I'm from the north west of England a county called Cheshire where it rains a lot! Last night we had some snow, thankfully it didn't stay on the ground Very Happy

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Dnyanada Kulkarni Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:00 am

:) Wow. One of my relatives stays somewhere in England. I would love to visit England some day.

Dnyanada Kulkarni

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:39 pm

hi All,

this is Sandhya i am from India...i basically love nature and animals a lot,i was reading an update on Toki,the cheetah when i came across this forum hence i thought of joining here so i can meet animal lovers :)

i dont have any pets..my religion do not permit me to keep pets :)
however i had been a foster mother to a few orphaned animals like cats and birds
as of now i have 2 friends among street dogs named buttercup and hachiko..

my favorite animals are elephants and tigers :)
radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Hello Radhu and welcome to WAA. So pleased you found our forum.

Have a look around, there are plenty of interesting topics and threads. We have a section on elephants and tigers as well as all sorts of other wildlife.

If you need any help with anything, feel free to ask.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Welcome to WAA Sandhya, it's lovely to have you here with us. Tigers are my favourite Big Cat and I have a huge soft spot for Elephants too.

Even though you can't keep pets at least you are able to befriend strays and make sure they are ok, thats a lovely thing to do, we don't have to have pets to care about animals. Maybe you can keep us informed about Buttercup & Hachiko.

I have three cats, Tiga, Sparkles and Splodge and a Dog called Nero and they keep me busy and give loads of fun and pleasure.

I hope you enjoy the forum and i there is anything you want to ask, please do, we are all very happy to help, the main thing is enjoy your time here.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Radhu
Welcome to WAA, I'm glad you found us, we have a couple of other members from India on here.
You do'nt have to have Pets to show you care abput Animals, the fact that you have fostered Animals, and care about Buttercup and Hachiko, shows you are a great Animal lover. My favourite big cat is also the Tiger, I think they are magnificent, and Elephants are also a big passion.
Enjoy yourself looking round the Forum, and if you need to know anything just ask, and one of us will get back to you
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  radhu Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:38 pm

thank u All :)
radhu
radhu

Back to top Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 6 Empty Hello

Post  Mara Mad Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi There

I live in Cornwall with family and 2 dogs, 3 cats, a bearded dragon, a hamster and several chickens and ducks. Love travelling to see wildlife and have been lucky enough to travel to Africa several times, to Asia and to see Tigers in India. Am crazy about the Mara and looking forward to going out during this year's migration. Am an amateur snapper but have just treated myself to a proper dSLR so will be avidly reading the photography posts for hints and tips!

Mara Mad Very Happy
Mara Mad
Mara Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi Mara Mad
Welcome to WAA. Its great you have found us, you are joining a group of people who are also mad about the Mara. Some of who returned from Safari there to wards the end of last year, and who visit as often as they can.
You will see in the Camera section that they love taking photos, and also if you look at the section Members Safari Trips, there are photos on there of their trips last year, and some frompast trips. Enjoy yourself lookin round, and if you need ant help please just ask.
WS
( Whitestarling )
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi Mara Mad and welcome to WAA, it's great to have you here and i'm sure there will be lots to interest you.
A few of our members have been to the Mara quite a few times and there are loads of their photo's to see on site and some are planning to go back this year so you will have lots to talk about with them.
Sounds like quite a menagerie you have there at home and it will be great to hear more about them. Some pics of cornwall will also be nice, it's a lovely place.
Enjoy looking around the site and please feel free to join in wherever you like, we are a friendly bunch and enjoy chatting to new members.......soon you will feel like an old member Very Happy
Have fun
littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:08 am

Hello Mara Mad and welcome to WAA.

It sounds like you've got your hands full with all those animals Very Happy

I'm a huge Kenya fan too, and am going out there again in December.

This sums it up for me. Known as Mal d'afrique

A visit to Africa may result in your becoming afflicted with a malady for which there is no known cure . . .
The condition has afflicted many people over the centuries. Some of them were great explorers, others great physicians. Way back in ancient times it had already been identified and given a name, “malum africanum”, by the Latins, today known as “Mal d’Afrique” by the French.
There is no escape : no known remedy. They can now join those born with the condition in Africa and help fashion its image in a culture that aims at a fullness of human dimensions, good to serve as a global one.

The symptoms are extraordinary. The scope of our vision changes and you become preoccupied with distance, far horizons. At the same time you notice small things, subtleties that previously seemed irrelevant – shades of colours more noticeable than the colours themselves.
Your hearing intensifies; mechanical noises offend you as never before. You detect melodies in the trickle of a stream, hear voices in the rustling of leaves. The things you do in life become less important than the things you see, feel, and can touch.

And then the smell ! The smell of life in the first rain falling on and fertilising the arid soil and making it bloom with green grass and life-sustaining crops.
In the African bush, far away from surroundings you are accustomed to, you feel as though you have come home. Some say your spirit recognises the birthplace of its origin, others say you feel an overwhelming presence of the Creator in the scope of communal life.
In this country which abounds with nature, we have the most wonderful story to tell and yet we don’t tell it. God is exposed in this land. It is as though God mixed the ingredients of the earth here.

If you need any help with anything do ask and enjoy looking round the forum.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 6 Empty Thanks for the lovely welcome!

Post  Mara Mad Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:12 am

And yes... Mal d'Afrique is exactly the right diagnosis!! Laughing And the only treatment is reular trips out there!

Mara Mad
Mara Mad
Mara Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:26 am

For sure - i'm with you on that. We're lucky enough to go once a year New Members Introductions - Page 6 71418

When are you off again and what camera did you get ?

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Mara Mad Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:03 am

Back to the Mara again in August (yippee!). Can't wait. Have a Canon 600D plus a variety of lenses. Still getting to grips with it but the course is really helping! Very Happy
Mara Mad
Mara Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 pm

Fantastic, a great time to go. Doogs is going in June so between us we'll have lots of updates and photos!

Canon are great, well I am biased as I have one and love it. Definitely lots of practice needed, nothing worse than spending the first day trying to remember what button does what (that's me in Zambia last November Embarassed ).

Are you doing a course with Experience Seminars? I did a couple when I first got my Canon, and just did one last Friday at Chester zoo, with theory in the morning and practical in the afternoon. Always useful and good to get out.

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Mara Mad Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:22 pm

Am doing 3 courses at my local FE College - finished the Beginners and about to start the Intermediate, then Advanced in May. Have also been out on Bodmin Moor and at the beach snapping away plus trip to Paignton Zoo and a local animal park for practice. And of course photographing our own animals but they have started to run in the opposite direction as soon as they see the camera bag appear! Laughing Am amazed already at the quality of pictures I am now getting compared with those from my old Canon bridge camera. I'd like to think that it is me that has improved but suspect that the new camera might be the main reason! New Members Introductions - Page 6 40683

So where do you usually stay in Mara when you go?
Mara Mad
Mara Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:28 pm

That's brilliant that you've found some good courses to do and also had the opportunity to practice locally. Funny about animals, our dogs will never stay still if I have the camera out, I have to catch them unawares other the Ridgeback wants to stick her nose on the lens What a Face

I bet it's a combination of the new camera and you picking up hints and tips from the course, and naturally all the practicing.

We've got a section called WAA camera club - so we'd love to see some of your photos when you've time.

I've ridden a lot in the Mara so of no fixed abode Very Happy well in a tent obviously but all over the place, not in the reserve though, no horses allowed. Laterly we've been to Rekero camp 3 times and Naboisho once. Also up north to Laikipia and Lewa. So we tend to move around a bit, I love to explore different areas and have a particular love for Laikipia, a very different area to the Mara. Just planning our December trip now New Members Introductions - Page 6 853843

Doogs will fill you in on where they stay in the Mara I am sure. Likewise Anne-Marie.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Welcome Radhu and mara mad!

Mara Mad, we made our first trip to Kenya last year and we stayed at Governors Camp, this was a must for me as I was always an avid fan of the big cat series from the outset. We'd definitely stay there again when we return. We were planning on going this year or early next, however the pitter patter of tiny feet are on the way so we are postponing our trip for a few years.

Really looking forward to seeing lots of pictures from the Mara this year.
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi Mara Mad - there's certainly a few us on there that name could relate to Wink

I'm visiting the Mara for the 5th time this year Very Happy but I have never been to India to see the Tigers, maybe one day . . . . .

Great that you're going to the Mara this year and as Lai says with me going in June, you in August and Lai at the end of the year together we've got the Mara covered. Great that you're doing a camera course and doing it in the proper way beginner - intermediate - advanced, you'll be an expert come August :)

We've only ever stayed in the Mara Intrepids or it's sister camp the Mara Explorer. We use the same guide every time we go as I keep in touch with him and always check he is available before we book. Where do you usually stay ?

Any photos - Mara or pets we would all love to see them.

Please feel free to post anywhere you fancy, always interested in everyone's opinions / thoughts and any problems just ask one of us, there's always someone happy to help.

Mal d'afrique Lai Pai - very appropriate Wink and I Agree Mara Mad only treatment is to keep going out there regularly Cool

Doogs lion cub
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mara Mad Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Lai - VERY jealous re the riding in the Mara! That must have been fantastic. Truly back to nature.

Anne-Marie - Good luck with the pitter-pattering - won't be long until you can safari again with the little one. We have taken our two since they were 6 and 8 and they love it.

Doogs - I have stayed at Intrepids and Explorer too. Loved Explorer especially! Have also stayed at Mara Sarova, Fig Tree and now always go with Brian Freeman whose camp is along the Talek just near Intrepids. That is my favourite part of the Mara as lots of leopards.

Will pull together a few pictures to post. Any criticism greatly appreciated as it will really help for August! :newbies:

Mara Mad
Mara Mad
Mara Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Nice serval for the avatar Wink

Now that's great you've been to the Intrepids & the Explorer too and I must agree that (and Brian's camp) are in a prime position for the leopards Wink I must admit the only other person we've looked at and would think about using (apart from Vincent at the Intrepids) is Brian Freeman, I've heard a lot of good reports about his safaris. How many times have you been with him ?

Please do post some pictures, we'd love to see them.

Just keep posting Mara Mad and you won't be a :newbies: for much longer Wink
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next