Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Members Introductions

+38
WMTravellers
cruciger
atb224155
cloudy
Trackerintraining86
mickeysutube
melikr
ForWildlife
tigerfan2013
Cremecat
redparka
gregrowlerson
blue river
Safariman
cheetahlover
AfricaInside
allaboutsongs
Mara Mad
radhu
Dnyanada Kulkarni
simbat
LalaPetush
RMorr50912
redroxy888
xxx leopard crasey xxx
svisak
Tarangire_Trekker
markymarc1979
tatyana
liongirl92
wilderness
tigermilk
minnie87
Anne-Marie1981
Monica
Doogs
princesspurplehippy
Safari Maiden
42 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 7 Empty Just to say hello

Post  allaboutsongs Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:49 pm

I live in London and right now I have 3 cats (in my life time I have 6 in all). I love wildlife and have been aware of so much going on, good and bad, good in terms of knowing so many people out there look after animals and their welfare, bad in the sense that cruelty such as poaching of tusks from elephants and rhinos, and starving farmed tigers to death in China for for tiger bone wine etc, and all the other stuff I come across on facebook that tells me evil must be eradicated to save these poor animals and we are their voice. I am going back to see the rescued elephants next month in Thailand, where I have financially helped substantially to bring these working elephants out of slavery. Then in September I am booked to travel to Kenya with Bornfree Foundation Group and Kuoni where I will be visiting David Sheldrick Wildlife Orphanage (I have 5 orphaned baby elephants adopted) in Nairobi and the ivory burning site, Amboselli National Park and learn about the Amboselli Elephant Research Project (AERP) and understand the elephants and the ecosystems, stay at Elsa Kopje Lodge in Meru where George Adamson built his first site with Elsa the Lion, visit Lake Navaisha - The Ol Pejeta Conservancy including visits to the White Rhino Sanctuary and the famous Chimpanzee Sanctuary founded by Jane Goodall, and the final stop is to Maasai Mara. All very exciting and in 2013, my African adventure bucket list includes the Mfuwe Lodge in Zambia where Wonky, Wellie and her elephants pay their annual visit. I have a youtube channel and I will be posting videos after my Kenyan trip at my Youtube channel called: ALLABOUTSONGS. I don't think I can add my a full link here until 7 days later for my youtube channel.

AAS
Cheers alien

Last edited by allaboutsongs on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my shortcut name is 'AAS' for Allaboutsongs)
allaboutsongs
allaboutsongs

Back to top Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 7 Empty Re: New Members Introductions

Post  Laikipia Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:34 pm

Welcome to WAA Allaboutsongs. Great that you've found us.

We've plenty of sections and lots of interesting topics, so I hope you enjoy looking round the site.

That's some wonderful trip you're doing in September. We also foster 4 eles and 1 rhino (I think at the last count) and have visited DSWT in Nairobi several times - such a wonderful place.

I'm mad on Africa too, the Mara, the north around the Laikipia area and I can tell you all about Wonky and her family at Mfuwe Lodge as I visited there last November, what an amazing experience that was.

This is my link to youtube for a quick slide show of Mfuwe Lodge. My first attempt at a slideshow Very Happy

We've a section on WAA where we post photos of our safari so you'll find lots of great photos there. Anne-Marie was in the Mara last September as was Doogs.

If you've any photos we'd love to see them, and if you need help with anything please ask any of us.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Welcome allaboutsongs. Your trip later this year sounds wonderful. I visited the DSWT in September last year and it was just so wonderful. I've posted some photos in the Members Safari Trips area. You will love it. We foster 7 eles and 1 rhino Very Happy

I hope you have a wonderful visit to Thailand next month, and well done for helping them out. Have you got any photos you could share from any previous visits?

AM
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Mara Mad Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Welcome! Your trip in September sounds wonderful. I would love to visit Meru so look forward to hearing all about it! And I recently read Bwana Game by George Adamson so would love to see the places he mentions in the book.

Mara Mad
Mara Mad
Mara Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Welcome allaboutsongs to WAA. Sounds like a brilliant year your in for, and some fantastic experiences. We have seen some wonderful photos, and heard about the expereinces of some of our members visits to DWST some are in Safari section, and there are other posts on Dwst, and Bles in Africas Big Five. Looking forward to hearing more about your trips, and hopefully see some of your photos. If you need any help finding anything, or posting photos on the Forum, just shout, and one of us will help
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 7 Empty Thanks everyone for the welcome

Post  allaboutsongs Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:20 am

Hi all,
I am still finding my feet with using the response route so I hope I am in the right place. I didn't understand what the "Quote" button is about and when I tried to respond using the quote button, it said it would only allow 50 quotes, hence I am replying here ....
@ Laikipia: Thanks for posting the Youtube slideshow. I enjoyed the photos' subjects and the slideshow plus music and I think you have accomplished very well in terms of photography and as this was your first attempt on the slideshow, another compliment to you. javascript:emoticonp('lol!')

I have a youtube channel and my youtube name is Allaboutsongs. I will post some old photos when I can find my way round here. javascript:emoticonp(':arrow:') Re David Sheldrick Wildlife Orphanage (DSWT), I met Dame Daphne Sheldrick a few months ago and have a few photos taken with her. She is a first class lady commanding my full respect. BTW, DSWT is hosting a Harambee Gala Dinner javascript:emoticonp('flower') in London on Friday 28 September 2012, and I will be attending with 5 other supporters. Hope your be able to make it too, or share the link with your friends, I couldn't share the link yet, but if you put in google - Harambee gala dinner, the DSWT link will appear in the results page.

AAS
allaboutsongs
allaboutsongs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:54 am

Good morning AAS

Glad you liked the slideshow - I'm going back to Mfuwe Lodge this November and then to north Kenya over New Year so will no doubt be taking another few thousand photos Very Happy

WS is great at explaining everything to do with the forum and the buttons so I'll leave it to him What a Face

Have you bought Dame Daphne's book yet? I've just got my two copies, one being a b'day present and one for me Laughing I know Anne-Marie has just about finished reading hers. I went to a talk she gave at the RGS in London and yes Pete and I are going to the dinner in September, it should be wonderful. I've posted the link.

http://thedswt.org.uk/gala2012/

Really looking forward to your photos and will check out youtube shortly.

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:58 am

Found your youtube channel - lots to check out cheers

https://www.youtube.com/user/ALLABOUTSONGS?ob=0&feature=results_main

SM has a lot to do with BLES so she'll enjoy looking through your videos.

Lai

ps thanks for your comment on my youtube page - as you probably realised, I am not all that techie with youtube and posted the slideshow on there so I could share with WAA and friends. I've no idea how to do anymore than that!!!
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi AAS,

I have a funny feeling we know each other through BLES. Think we got to speak about 2 words at the BLES party in July last year. Always loved your BLES vids and revisit from time to time.

This is the link on the forum to my last vid I made for Evelyn and Katherine - might give you a clue who I am Wink
https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t591-boon-lott-s-elephant-sanctuary-bles#16810

Great Great Great to have you with us. We cover so much on the forum and we can never get enough updates on DSWT and Africa etc.- not to mention local wildlife issues as well. We cover something for everyone.

Take care.

SM
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutsongs Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Just a quick reply if I can remember everything ... and sunny morning to ALL of you Laughing

Dame Daphne Sheldrick's book - no I haven't bought it yet, I will try and buy it at some point.

I will take lots of photos in Kenya and hope to post those and videos on youtube a, so it will be easy for all of you to watch.
It's wonderful to hear Lai you are going with Pete to the DSWT Gala dinner. I will be there with family and friends too. And knowing you are revisiting Mfuwe Lodge is reassuring as I really want to go there next year if at possible.

In the Mara, I am staying in the Governors Camp as the Little Governors is fully booked. The other lodging in Kenya are: Sweetwaters Tented Camp in Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Loldia House in Lake Navaisha, Amboseli Serena Lodge, Nairobi Serena Hotel on arrival in Nairobi and the first stop is a visit to the DSWT elephants in the afternoon, Elsa Kopje Lodge in Meru. After 7 days, I will post the links giving some info of the lodges.

NB if SM is a 'she' then I may have a clue .... Rolling Eyes

Have a great day everybody ...
AAS Ginger Cat
allaboutsongs
allaboutsongs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi again allaboutsongs

As Lai mentioned, I had almost finished reading Dame Daphne's book, I have now finished it and it is such a fantastic read. Remember if you buy it, to get it directly from the trust so all proceeds go to them. I was lucky enough to meet Dame Daphne in Sept 2010 at the RGS. Isn't she the most remarkable lady!!

I would love to go to the gala dinner in September, but not sure what to do, expecting my first baby on 31st August, and not sure if I'll be up for leaving him/her at that point. I'm hoping tickets will still be available closer to the time. Got my invite pinned to my fridge door!

I stayed at Governors while in the Mara, although Little Governors is a lot more intimate, I had no trouble with the size of Governors. We never really saw that many people (and we were there in Sept). I would definitely stay there again.

Regarding your visit to the DSWT, are you going to the public mudbath? As a foster parent you can go in the evening too, you need to book this with the trust. And of course there is the private visit as well. Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Welcome to the Forum AAS :newbies: Great to have you on here.

WOW you are certainly well involved in animals with your 3 cats, rescued elephants in Thailand then the various locations within Kenya that you are visiting later this year, how fantastic. We're off to the Mara in June for the 5th time, love the place Very Happy

I'm sure you'll have a great time at Mfuwe Lodge in Zambia. We all enjoyed Lai's stories and pictures from there - and of course her wonderful slideshow, it looks a great place to visit Cool cheers

There's lots of fellow Elephant behind lovers on here so you'll certainly have a lot in common with quite a few of us.

Hope to hear from you more and please enjoy, get involved in the forum.

Doogs lion cub
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi AAS
As Lai said if you need any help navigating round the Forum, please just ask, or you can PM me by clicking on my name, and then contact, then Private message.
The qoute button, if you click it brings up the post you are looking at, at the time, and then you can reply to thar particular comment, it prints both the quote, and your answer, but it's not really used very often. You are fine replying on this thread, and when you are used to it we can direct you to the other topics that interest you.
There is a section on the forum, that explains how to upload your photos, so when your ready, just let us know, and I'll send you the link. You will be able to post links, after 7 days to your videos, and anything else.
Great to have you on here
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 7 Empty DSWT and the Governors Camp

Post  allaboutsongs Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Anne-Marie,
I will be seeing my adopted elephants - Orwa, Sonje, Kathika, Naipoki and Ishaq-B. ( I also gifted Sonje to a friend in America for a year). As my entire trip itinerary is prepared by Bornfree Foundation, the visit to DSWT will be only for our Group of Bornfree supporters and it will be in the afternoon, and the place will be quieter, as we know morning hours the place is frantic with tourists. We will also be able to take our adopted elephants back to their stables for their evening sleep. I hope the visit will include a mudbath before they retire to bed. The full itinerary is on the Bornfree website but I can't provide the link for 7 days being new.
If you go to the Bornfree website, type in the search box the word "holidays" - Holidays (page) would come up. Scroll down and click on the link that says - "itinerary for this special trip here".
The holiday is run by Kuoni and Ananea Responsible Travel, and as soon as we arrive in Nairobi, we will be met by the Bornfree local representative who will look after our group throughout the holiday period. I have myself extended my trip to the Mara.
New Members Introductions - Page 7 Dame_w14
Yes I will get the book from the Trust if I were to buy it. I can ring the Trust in the UK and order it.
As regards dinner, this occasion is unique and Dame Sheldrick is the host. She is dynamic and works hard for the elephants at her age, and you will cherish the occasion for life when you know you were there to celebrate with her and her supporters for the African elephants in her charge.
oh I managed to post the photo !!! yay Razz
AAS Ginger Cat
allaboutsongs
allaboutsongs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:12 pm

AAS here's the link to your holiday

http://www.kuoni.co.uk/en/holiday/africa/kenya/kenya-tours--climbs/tours/pages/kenya-born-free-safari.aspx#/

it's look wonderful - what a great time you are going to have.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutsongs Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:07 pm

@ Doogs, you will have such a wonderful time in the Mara and the 5th time!! Where are you staying? Cheetah
I have a friend who stayed at the Mara Bushtops and loved it and she is booked to go back there twice this year.
@ WS, I figured out now it is simpler to use the Post reply button :)
and to Lai, thanks for providing the Bornfree Kenya itinerary link Elephant behind

AAS Ginger Cat
allaboutsongs
allaboutsongs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:14 am

One of the places we are staying at in December for a few nights is Joy's camp. It's built on the site of Joy Adamson's tented home in Shaba National Reserve. We've never been before but it looks like a great place.

Lai

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:17 am

Hi AAS your trip sounds wonderful. You will be having the private visit as well which is just fantastic Very Happy one on one time with the eles Very Happy both myself and Lai have done this and it really is wonderful.

I really wish I could say for definite I could attend the dinner, but I have no idea how I would feel leaving baby at 2 weeks - 4 weeks old. :baby1: :baby1:
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:24 am

That's such a dilema for you Anne-Marie and really you won't know until the very last minute. It's not that easy for you to get there either timewise so best not to think too far ahead, if you can both make it then wonderful if not I am sure there will be another opportunity.

Lai Pai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 pm

AAS - We're staying at the Mara Intrepids, only stayed there or it's sister camp the Mara Explorer. We love the camp, it's location, the staff but more importantly we love Vincent - the guide we use each time we go. I've read many good reports about other camps within the Mara but we know what we're getting when we go here so happy to keep going back Very Happy

Oooh Joys Camp sounds like a lovely place to stay Lai, looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing the photos Cool

AM - The dinner sounds like something that would be sold out quickly. Why don't explain your circumstances to whoever is selling the tickets and ask if you can purchase the tickets with a view to returning them for resale depending on how you get on with bubbs ? They may say no but might be worth asking. Also, I take it if you bought them, could go, you don't know anyone who would buy them off you ?
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 am

You probably know this AAS but the Bushcamp Company send out a weekly 'Did you know' e-mail which is always great to read. This Wednesday it was about the lions visiting the lodge, right outside one of the rooms ...... What a Face

You might want to sign up for the e-mail if you haven't already.

http://www.bushcampcompany.com/

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:34 pm

Doogs, cheers fantastic idea. I've just dropped Harriet and Rob an email at the trust to ask those questions. Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Last line of my previous post should have read cound't go as oppose to could go !

Hope they give you the response you are looking for AM - Don't ask you don't get Wink
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 7 Empty Nice to find my tribe

Post  AfricaInside Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi All, my name is Lori and I am an Africa Addict. Over the past 30 years I have traveled to eleven of the continents countries; I lead tours there for Jane Goodall and other clients, and am currently writing stories and posts about my passion for wildlife and Africa on my site: AfricaInside.org
I recognize many of my friends on this site: Rekero Camp, Sheldrick, Jackson...so I am happy to be here and look forward to exchanging posts with all of you.
AfricaInside
AfricaInside

http://AfricaInside.org

Back to top Go down

New Members Introductions - Page 7 Empty Joys Camp

Post  AfricaInside Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I stayed there 3 years ago. It is wonderful. Exotic, great food and service and surrounds a small marsh next to a swimming pool so there are lots of birds. But the wildlife was scarce. Great area though, off the regular tourist path so not a lot of trucks etc.
Lori
AfricaInside
AfricaInside

http://AfricaInside.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next