Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk

+5
Safariman
Doogs
WMTravellers
gregrowlerson
princesspurplehippy
9 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 Empty Re: Welcome to everyday Lets Talk

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Poor you PPH, I hope you'll be feeling better soon and you enjoy the exhibition, I've got tickets to take my mum in a couple of weeks time so look forward to hearing all about it.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Afternoon all from a pretty miserable NE of Scotland but it’s certainly not cold No  After our good fortune last week it was back to normal at the Bingo last night and no winnings, you can't win them all.  

I must admit WS I did think that’s what nadgers might have been but just wanted you to clarify for me Wink    How totally unreasonable of those caravanners to interfere with the your internet time and posting on here – sort them out WS Laughing 

How awful for you PPH having your bank card used fraudulently, not only is it a worry it is a pain in the ass to get it sorted out/wait for new cards etc.  Oooh err to what the fraudsters bought Razz   Ouch re cutting the tip off of your finger pale but glad to hear it’s healing up nicely.  Not long now until you’re CG Interview, we’re all hoping you are successful.  Hope you enjoyed your day out today/yesterday and your tummy didn’t give you too much bother.

Ooooh LW you silly billy spilling your coffee over your notebook – it was obviously attracted to your Notebook as it was a ‘tablet’ (coffee with tablet Laughing) . .  sorry that’s probably not funny in your eyes Embarassed   How disappointing to lose your pictures, it’s so annoying when that happens as they are irreplaceable.  I remember the first year we went to Kenya and on return a friend’s boyfriend was flicking through my pictures on the camera and goodness knows what he did but he wiped the whole lot.  I went to a camera shop to see if I could get them back, unfortunately they were gone for good Sad - I actually cried with disappointment in the shop which was a little bit embarrassing.  Very cheesed off at the guy who wiped them, he didn’t even have the decency to say he’d done it just handed the camera back to me and said nothing Mad  Thankfully there have been other trips to the Mara to get some other photos but I did lose a few good ones  Crying or Very sad  

You must know these BT guys personally now Lai the amount of times they have been out trying to sort the internet connection etc Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 615959 I will catch up on your Shetland stuff when I go home, hope there’s some otter piccys Very Happy ‘cause I do love those little critters.  I think there’s also a few of Safariman’s threads I’ve missed so will also check that out later.

Have a good evening everyone

Doogs  drunken
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 pm

PPH I hope you enjoyed your day out and I hope you are feeling better now, tummy bugs are not nice, sending you a Group Hug 

What an awful thing to happen to your photos from Kenya Doogs and it is so annoying and rude when people dont say sorry for what they have done, I would have cried to. Yep it was a silly thing to do but I have brought a thing that is wirelessed so I can get my pics again from my cameras and phone and a nice guy in Maplins repairs pcs and he reckons he can get some stuff of the hard drive so I am not too upset about it, just annoyed I was so stupid geek 

We had good news today, apart from it being Emmas birthday today and Toms tomorrow, they got engaged today bounce its so lovely and they asked Lara and Kian how they felt about Mummy and Daddy getting married and they are both so excited. Its a lovely story because Laras dad sadly died when Lara was just two. Emma and Tom were friends and a while later they got together and Tom has brought Lara up from the age of 2 and a half and he has been Daddy ever since, although she does remember Mark and knows he is her daddy, so for 9 years Tom has been her Daddy, 7 years ago they had Kian, not long after they got together, they had joked about marriage but we all thought they would never do it, not their thing they would say but this morning Tom proposed and Emma said yes, so this lovely guy will now officially become my Nephew in Law instead of me just saying he is and the kids are happy that Mummy and Daddy will be legal:lol!: 

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:48 am

Doogs that is the most awful story ever, I would have been so upset and possibly committed a hideous crime with the person involved.  What a total Censored  for not even saying anything No 

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 305898  to Emma and Tom, wonderful happy news and lovely for Lara and Kian too.

What on earth is happening with the weather?  Yesterday afternoon it got so hot the house was far too hot and today it's windy and about to Rain  and we've got a 2.00pm wedding Rolling Eyes 

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.

Lai Very Happy

ps Littlewid. I've just been online and ordered from the link you gave me. The Wanderlust zebra range, a washbag, make-up bag, tablet case and notebook. I always like to be ready for safaris with a notebook Very Happy  so thanks heaps for the link I am really looking forward to these goodies arriving soon.

Last edited by Laikipia on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add ps)
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 pm

I am in full agreement with Doogs that this thread is lethal if you leave it alone for a little while Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 40683 

Congratulations on your bingo victory Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 2224760601 

Lai, I am up to three onesies now, so certainly room for more http://www.picgifs.c I have the giraffe one with just one button, plus flying squirrel and snow leopard (I keep both these high in the cupboard away from Leaping Leo's reach Laughing ). The squirrel is my standard pj's, though I've also worn the leopard (which as I've said is very feminine Razz ) a few times.

LW, I laugh a lot with your description about Nero and food; that you could be being eaten by a bear and he'd still be going for the biscuits. Well at least he's got his priorities right Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 40683

PPH, what horrible times you have had to go through Mad I think that losing it a little bit under the circumstances and cutting your finger is totally understandable, but you are back in the pool again and off to the museum, so onwards and upwards my friend.

Look on the Brightside too: At least the crook put your money to some good use Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 40683 

Although if it was me I probably would have spent 180 pounds on onesies Laughing 

LW, if your brother in law cannot do anything about recovery of pics on your notebook then it could be worth your while seeing a professional for restoration. It is one of my biggest fears, to lose all my laptop stuff (could you imagine the state I would be in if I lost all my selfies? Laughing ), so to go the whole hog as they say could be worth a bit of $.

Doogs, that old news of yours is so Sad It is just horrible. Pics from overseas trips are worth HEAPS of money; in fact I would even go as far to say that some are priceless. That the guy didn't even say anything just makes it worse. After all of this news I think I might spend my next trip at my parents house loading HEAPS of stuff onto their computer...

But actually that is also a good thing about putting things online; you can't lose it Very Happy 

Except in the case of a cycling forum which I used to frequent, which seems to have been cancelled completely out of the blue - even whilst the Tour De France was still on confused - and am not sure if it will even be back. And that place had thousands of members affraid 

Lovely news about Emma & Tom LW I love you http://i70.servimg.c Even better for all of us I think because there has been a lot of Sad and Mad news here, so hopefully that can give many a big Very Happy
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:33 am

I realised today that some major Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 305898 are in order!

WS has made it to 11,000 posts WOW WOW WOW 

Now for the next 11,000 Laughing 

You the man 
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 am

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 768480  WS - you're really getting the rabbit  albino  http://i77.servimg.c  habit Laughing 

Lai

ps well spotted eagle eyed G Giraffe  Giraffe  http://i77.servimg.c  R. P Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 3525291757
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:50 pm

Everyones right leave this thread for a few days and it's affraidaffraid:affraid:Whats happened, I'm that  far behind I'm not going to even try to catch up, plus its Internet go slow weekend time again.
11,000 Posts :affraid:did'nt realise it had gone up so quick I must have been rambling in all the heat we've been having. Thats my excuse, and as evidence of how bad it is, this is a photo from our local paper

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 311

WS Very Happy
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:32 pm

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 40683  thats a really cool Cool  pic WS, clever sheep you have in Wales Sheep cheers 

Lai I must check out the link and see what you have ordered, sounds really exciting, only trouble is i'm affraid I may just do some ordering myself Very Happy 

GR I have a number of a guy that thinks he can retrieve some of my stuff of the hard drive, I just need to give him a call, may do it when I am on holiday in a couple of weeks time. I have brought a gadget that I can transfer my pics to here from my cameras and phone, I just need to sort it.

Thanks for your congrats for Emma and Tom cheers we are all delighted. They are getting married next year and my mum is really chuffed as they are getting married on 10th August which is when my mum and dad got married. Emma has always said she would like to find a man who was like her grandad and be as happy as her grandma and grandad, she told my mum yesterday that they had both chosen to marry on the same day she had. My mum is so delighted and very touched.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, its been a lovely day here but not too hot.

Have a good rest of the weekend everyone.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:55 am

That's one of the best pics I've seen this year WS! All those Cool bought me many Very Happy 

You the man 

LW, keep us updated on your retrieval of data attempts. That's lovely about the symbolic nature of the wedding date chosen. That sort of stuff really means a lot to people and so it is great when people go the extra mile to give them a terrific moment of positive feeling.
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 am

http://i73.servimg.c  WS - a great photo.

Have a good sunday everyone, not sure what the weather is doing today scratch 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:32 pm

There was an interesting doco on the telly tonight about islands of the Pacific (which branched all the way out to Hawai and Easter Island, is that still the Pacific? I'm no good on Oceans Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 615959 ). It was about the animals, and of how a great deal of them are flightless birds, having evolved (or not) to be as such due to the lack of mammals and predators on these islands. It went into great detail of how the security of their environment led to less needs to create safety defence mechanisms for themselves (there was even a big lizard on an island which was virtually useless at catching creepy crawlies that were just wondering by it!) or just general lack of excellent survival techniques. This was all well and good, but with man's insistence on introducing foreign species, disasters aplenty resulted. Many species have been lost forever, in particular on Easter Island which they suspect was due to the island being overrun by rats, which ate all the seeds to the plants, and wiped out all the animals and virtually all the humans (which were once quite a strong civilisation there). New Zealand was a good case study, with a flightless bird called the Kokoba (or something, I can't recall exactly) had numbers in the hundreds of thousands....there are now less than 100, thanks to the introduction of the Australian possum which has run totally riot. There are far more possums there then there ever were of the flightless bird even. Many species have become extinct on the two main islands of the country, but conservationists are trying to rebuild what is left of some species on the smaller islands.

Oh, I can't recall the island (might have been New Guinea), but there was a member of the kangaroo family that only resided there, and it lived in trees and was an expert climber. It actually looked koala like, and was about the size of a Labrador. They said that it hadn't been spotted by humans until 1994. Take that leopards, now that's reclusive!
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:13 pm

That sounds fascinating GR. I only did geography for one year at school so am pretty hopeless on oceans and countries but Hawaii is in the Pacific ocean. As for the kangaroo that climbed and lived in trees, I had to google it as I've never heard of that before.

In 1990, a new species of tree kangaroo, the golden-mantled tree kangaroo, was discovered in the Torricelli Mountains of Papua New Guinea. It had a chestnut-brown coat, pale belly and a double stripe of gold down its back. A second population of the marsupial was discovered on the Indonesian side of the New Guinea island in 2005, but there are few of these animals and their population is thought to be decreasing. Scientists estimate that the golden-mantled tree kangaroo has been extirpated from 99% of its historical range, its numbers driven low by habitat destruction and hunting

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrowlerson Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:44 am

Thanks for that info Lai Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 768480 

But how often do we read "numbers driven low by habitat destruction and hunting" No 
gregrowlerson
gregrowlerson

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 am

All too often sadly GR

Lai No 
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Well it’s Monday again, where does the weekend go ?  My mum & dad were staying overnight in a Hotel on Friday (prezzie from me) so I was ‘Syd Sitting’ – I must confess to enjoying an early night as I was knackered with working.  I didn’t put him in his cage after the last time mum & dad were away and he howled the place down Laughing– he was happy as larry next to me on the bed all night !!  Saturday I took Syd out for a walk in the morning then dad and I went to the footie in the afternoon, 1st game of the new season.  It was a lovely day, we played really well and won 2-1 Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 853843   Had a few drunken before and after the game and also went out for tea with mum & dad.  Sunday I was working in the pub http://www.picgifs.c 

Great to hear you might be able to get some of your photos back LW thanks to the nice guy Maplins Cool  What great news about Emma and Tom Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 305898 to them both.  What a lovely idea to get married on your mum & dads anniversary, no wonder your mum is chuffed.  I’m really glad as well that both Lara and Kian are happy with their decision, that will be very important to E&T.

Lai, I’m glad to see you’ve been treating yourself like LW did Wink   I did see the zebra range, it looked really nice and the notebook will be perfect for your next safari . . .  which is when ???

LW, I laugh a lot with your description about Nero and food; that you could be being eaten by a bear and he'd still be going for the biscuits. Well at least he's got his priorities right

Totally agree GR, pics from overseas trips are priceless, they are moments that will never be captured again, which is why when we lose them it so Sad  Good idea to load some stuff onto your parent’s computer as back up.  That sounds like a pretty interesting documentary you watched and great facts about the Kangaroo Lai, thanks for that.  

http://i73.servimg.c  WS for the 11,000 posts – you’re a Like a Star @ heaven and I Agree with Lai, good spot GR for noticing.   Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 40683 love that picture of the Sheep superb

Quiet, early night tonight Sleeping  . . . bring it on
Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Just a quick one for now Re GR's comments on Invasive Species, and habitat loss. I've moved it to the Conversation thread, as it might get lost in the general chatter on lets talk, and it's an important contribution. I've also posted some comments on it
https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t2618-invasive-species#51497
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Pleased and fascinated to see that the first post I did on joining WAA, just over 12 months ago, the thread about Moja and Nyota in Members Safari Trips has now passed 1000 views!!!
It is interesting to see which threads are continually viewed and which only have a short but well received lifespan.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 305898  Safariman, and I agree about the different posts cheers 

A really bad piece of news that I am sure everyone has seen on the news, JKIA airport in Nairobi had a fire.

Fire destroys Jomo Kenyatta International Airport arrivals unit

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Fire-destroys-JKIA-arrivals-unit-/-/1056/1939786/-/4ctk15/-/index.html

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Safariman Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Saw the news about JKIA AIrport Nairobi. It will have a devastating effect on the tourist industry as it is the height of the tourist season and most camps and lodges are fully booked. There is no real alternative as Mombasa does not have the facilities to handle lots of international flights and Nairobi acts as a hub for the whole of East Africa. I am (hopefully) returning to Kenya at the beginning of Nov. so hopefully things might be back to Kenya normal;i.e. total chaos!! Unfortunately there is no real alternative to Nairobi Airport if you want to visit East Africa as BA has stopped direct flights to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania so the only alternatives are Lusaka in Zambia or Kampala in Uganda which only have two or three flights a week. I think that the fire was a disaster waiting to happen as anybody who has spent time in JKIA can testify. I am only glad that nobody appears to have been hurt.

Safariman
Safariman
Safariman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:28 pm

WOW Safariman 12 months on WAA, where did that year go scratch Happy Aniversary Very Happy . Over 1,00 views thats brilliant, and I noticed your post on the 4 Muskateers is on 997, so nearly another 1,000 views on that one as well.
Just been watching the news on Nairobi Airport, looks devastating What a Face , at the moment they are diverting to Mombasa

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Hope your mum and dad had a nice time away Doogs and theres nothing wrong with Syd being with you over night, that lets you know the only way Nero will sleep is if he too is on the bed, not a peep out of him that way.
Sounds as if it was a good footie match for you and your dad, hopefully your season will continue that way.

Yep it is all good in the Emma, Tom, Lara and Kian household and more good news is that Tom is going to adopt Lara so that officially they are Father and Daughter and Lara is literally ecstatic about it, we are all chuffed too.

Welcome to everyday Lets Talk - Page 9 305898  Safariman on being here for over a year, you have contributed so much to the forum with all your wonderful pictures and stories of your travels and your "Selfie" its been great and I am not surprised your post has had over 1000 views and its nice to know that even if guests do not post on the site they are visiting the posts and hopefully getting the enjoyment out of them like we do cheers 

I heard little bits on the radio today about the fire but havent seen the news, read the article you posted Lai, its not good news for them is it but the main thing is that no one was hurt. Lets hope they can get things up and running soon.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:18 pm

As Safariman says, JKIA airport is pretty chaotic at the best of times and so some how I am not surprised at the devastation.

I agree about the routes Safariman, not ideal as flights to Zambia are very limited.  Doogs is also going in November so I hope you will both be able to get there without too much hassle.

Daily Nation
Full operations at Kenya's main airport will resume at midnight, the government has announced.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Full-operations-at-JKIA-to-resume-at-midnight/-/1056/1941152/-/adjljx/-/index.html

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Well at least that sounds like some good news Lai, although I should think there are bound to be some delays ect. It's also good news that Pres Obamha has offered US support, as well as regional Leaders, and finacial institutions to rectify the situation. So fingers X Dppgs, and Safariman should be OK to go in November

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:51 am

Good morning everyone

A wet and coldish day today, let's hope it changes in time for the weekend. Pete's is off walking in Scotland tomorrow for a week, so fingers crossed for sunshine for him. I'm taking my mum to London for 3 days on Monday and we're catching up with my aunt and various other friends as well as an exhibition at the British Museum 'Life and Death Pompeii and Herculaneum' which should be fascinating.

Another wedding today so hope the Rain  holds off.

What plans have you all got for the weekend?

Have a good day and http://i70.servimg.c  http://i70.servimg.c  it's Friday cheers 

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next