Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Signs of Spring

+4
whitestarling
littlewid
Laikipia
princesspurplehippy
8 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Signs of Spring - Page 7 Empty Re: Signs of Spring

Post  littlewid Tue May 31, 2011 5:49 am

Just lovely Lai Very Happy I adore the one of the Goldfinch, Chaffinch and Greenfinch all feeding together, such a beautiful photo. The chicks look so cute and I bet your going to enjoy seeing them grow up. Wonder if the other chicks will be a little less elusive as they get older?

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:42 am

Such lovely photos as always Lai!! I love to see all the birds you get in your garden. Trying different bird feed to attract different birds, but still only sparrows, starlings, blackbirds and collard doves ... also the odd wood pigeon (which are HUGE).
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks Anne-Marie. We find different birds come during different seasons, although having said that it seems to be a total bun fight at the moment.

You are so lucky to have Sparrows, we had one visit some months ago and i got so excited, but I've not seen it again. Also no Starlings at all What a Face which is sad as we used to see them.

I am amazed the wood pigeons can fly they are so huge Very Happy and fat.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 pm

What a lovely, welcoming house WS Signs of Spring - Page 7 71418 Loved the shot with Poppy in the doorway Signs of Spring - Page 7 853843

Oooh and what great photos Lai Very Happy Mrs P and her chicks are lovely and that's a great shot that you got with the Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch altogether on the feeders !! Cool Wink
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:56 pm

I don't know how everyone else is doing with their birds and fledglings but we are being eaten out of house and home Very Happy the fledglings sit in the apple tree chirping noisily whilst their parents endlessly use the feeders, and return to feed them.

It's wonderful to see and to listen to, but we've had to buy a couple of squirrel proof feeders, not to stop the squirrels but the crows, jackdaws, jays and magpies. So at the least fat balls and suet cake are not being taken by them in a matter of hours.

The 3 pheasant chicks are all doing well and flying a bit now, they like the long grass and made me jump when I came face to face with them, you can hear them chirping away but not see them until they leap up and fly off a few feet! All dogs barred from the garden now. We also found another tiny pheasant chick which must have only been a day or two old, I am not sure who it belongs to, or where it is now, it went off to the veg patch What a Face

The heron comes in and has a good look around in the evenings, but we are hoping he is not getting these little babies.

Gimpy the lame Buzzard is busy being a parent so hasn't visited to look for worms recently.

Having seen the bit about a bee house on Springwatch we found one at the Garden Centre, (I know we were supposed to make it, but this seemed easier Laughing ). We put it up yesterday, so I'll be keeping an eye on that now.

It's all go here, just a wonderful time of year to watch wildlife in the garden.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerburnie Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Signs of Spring - Page 7 Dscf0018

No youngsters yet!

tigerburnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:19 am

But lovely to see them ............ thanks TB

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:42 am

Great to see the Puffins, and other Sea Birds
Thanks TB
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:56 am

Know the feeling Lai. Our shopping list this weekend read, Milk, Fat Balls, Meal Worms, Suet Pellets, Fat cakes, Sunflower Seed, Peanuts, Bread. I'm dreading whats coming up for Tea affraid Signs of Spring - Page 7 40683 .
We have loads of little fledglings, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Great Tits, Greenfinches, Sparrows, and Starlings, its really comical watching them trying to coordinate landing on the feers, and watching the parents feeding them. Wilma, and Fred the Woodpeckers are not visiting as much now so I think any little Bam Bams have fledged, but we have'nt seen them yet. We are not having to much problem with the large Birds, but I have had a batle with a Crow that kept unhooking the Fat Cake, Fat Ball, and Nut feeders off the Feeding Station, dropping them on the floor so they opened, then eating all the contents. After numerous attempts I finaly solved the problem by cable tying the handles to the feeder station arms.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 pm

I got up this morning went into the kitchen and saw outside a casualty of our french windows. A fledgling Great Tit was lying on the ground looking very dead. I thought I would sort out the dogs and then bury it, but when I returned 5 minutes later it was sitting up again Very Happy

Signs of Spring - Page 7 Gt_fle10

So I sat inside and kept an eye on it for 20 minutes so none of the big birds could come and get it and then it fluffed itself up, walked around a bit and flew off back to the apple tree.

Signs of Spring - Page 7 Gt_fle11

What a relief, I was so pleased to see it alive and well and able to fly.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  princesspurplehippy Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:26 pm

that is such good news and so glad that its alright. brilliant photos too
princesspurplehippy
princesspurplehippy

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 pm

That happens a lot with us Lai. Last week we had a Baby Chaffinch just outside our window, I'd heard a bump it had flown into the window, and was stunned. Like you we kept an eye on it for about 20 Mins to make sure it was safe from predators, then Mrs S went outside to check on it, it came round, and flew off. Hopefully it was OK after. I think this happens a lot with the young ones, untill they can fly properly. So fingers X thats two that are safe now

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Oooooo hope Mrs S didn't muddle up your tea with the bird food then WS What a Face

How lovely the little Great Tit was ok Lai, he looks so cute, he was obviously a tough little one Like a Star @ heaven

Has anyone else noticed how low the birds are flying at the moment? they seem to fly right towards the cars or just above the roof. It's so scary driving in the early morning and early evening. I've had a few near misses and a few breath holding moments. I've not known them to fly so low before. I am wondering if there has been a good hatching this year and if it's all about competition for food or are they just getting braver and less scared of traffic?

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:03 pm

Delighted to hear the little fella was okay in the end Lai - just as well you gave him/her the time to recover cheers

Speaking of low flyers LW, I remember a few years ago being in the car with Ian and an we both spotted an Owl heading towards us from the side. It was just instinct but the both of us ducked at the same time then looked at each other and laughed Laughing Thankfully the Owl 2 rose above the car, missing us Signs of Spring - Page 7 853843
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:16 pm

This morning in the veg patch - another Mrs Pheasant who is sitting happily between the beans and the spinach on eggs we hope. She is quite happy for life to go on around her. Needless to say the dogs are banned! With her is a baby bunny that is not supposed to be there, eating its way through the veg and strawberries What a Face

Signs of Spring - Page 7 Mrs_p_10

Signs of Spring - Page 7 Mrs_p_11

Lai flower
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:35 pm

It's funny how these birds make us duck in our cars and then let out a sigh of relief when they are ok. Owls are low flyers though aren't they Doogs, it was obviously also in hunting mode to be that low. I have also noticed how much slower they move out of the road now, the amount of times i've come to a dead stop is unbelievable.

Gorgous photo's Lai I love you hopefully she is sitting on eggs and they will all be ok. Lets hope the little bunnie doesn't disturb her too much. You'll have to let us know how things go if she lets you.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Fantastic Lai, I hope you're right and Mrs Pheasant is sitting on eggs, does look like she is Signs of Spring - Page 7 853843

Ok, am I being stupid - was the baby bunny in the picture Lai 'cause I can't see it scratch
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:01 pm

silent no to be honest it wasn't Doogs it was in with the strawberries Shocked

Going to check on Mrs P and the rest of the wildlife later - one albino becomes albino albino albino albino albino in a very short time and then there will be no fruit and veg left What a Face

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for clarifying that Lai, thought I was cracking up !!! affraid lol!
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:10 pm

I think its your own fault Lai. You know how one albino attracts a load of other albino albino albino albino
WS Signs of Spring - Page 7 40683
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 am

Signs of Spring - Page 7 40683 You're on sparkling form today WS - drunken

Lai albino albino
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Any update on Mrs P Lai :?: Hope she is doing ok. So many baby bunnies around at the moment.....not good for your veg Lai but they are so cute I love you

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:19 pm

See Lai thats another albino you've attracted
WS Signs of Spring - Page 7 40683
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:39 am

Mrs P has moved from the veg patch - she must have wanted to lay some eggs but then she got up and went to the feeder, I went and checked where she had been and no evidence of eggs which is a shame. She is around and about and Fizal is in pursuit (mind you, he's like that with all the hen pheasants) so maybe there is time yet for some more chicks.

lol! WS -

Lai albino
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Shame about no eggs Lai, but at least the Dogs can have a run round the garden now
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next