Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zawadi (aka Shadow)

+7
MissLeopard28
Anne-Marie1981
Safari Maiden
Laikipia
whitestarling
RMorr50912
Doogs
11 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 5 Empty Re: Zawadi (aka Shadow)

Post  RMorr50912 Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:06 am

I have to agree, too far to tell for certain. Still no reports of any other leopards in her territory that I've seen so seems she could just be being a leopard and staying out of sight. She does have a history of staying unseen when she wants to.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Not sure if you saw this on J&A's Blog Miss Leopard, it's series of comments
# Dominickon 01 Aug 2012 at 6:53 am
Hi everyone,

Just reading through the latest Governors’ Camp Game Report, Masai Mara for July 2012 and was pleasantly suprised to read he following,

Walking in the Mara North Conservancy
“On the 26th, earlier on that morning, we saw Zawadi and her 15 month old cub near to the start of Leopard Gorge. She looked in very good condition, on first sighting we mistook her for a male, as she is a big leopard as female’s go.”

Such good news to know that Zawadi {Shadow} is still alive and kicking up her “heels” in the Mara.

# Pepe Puyon 03 Aug 2012 at 12:17 am
¿Zawadi? I have my doubts. The last two cubs of Zawadi were born around November 2011, so a surviving cub should be 9 months old, not 15. The report said that she is a female very big, but Zawadi isn´t big; really she was an average leopard… I think there is a mistake.

Pepe Puy

# Dominickon 03 Aug 2012 at 2:33 am
Hi Pepe,

Thanks for weighing in with your input.

Since there may be a d1screpency here, additional verification would be appreciated to try to determine her wereabouts.
Here is a case where if we had someone like Jonathan or Jackson to investigate, results would be more reliable.
I’d like to believe she is still with us, but I’d rather know the truth of the situation, even if it would have a different result.

take care

Dom

I've had another go at your picture, this is not zoomed as much, and I've used a sharpen tool. It's the right side, it's not been flipped. Not sure if it helps you any better
Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 5 115

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:40 am

That'd be so weird if they saw her on July 26th as that is my birthday! I really hope we get some clarification soon. I still cannot tell if that is Zawadi even with it sharpened. I wish her face was turned toward the camera.
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:45 am

Fingers X as it was your Birthday, it could be a sign. It is really difficult to identify unless you get the right shot to compare with past photos as we know on here. When we've tried with other big cats. Still we can keep hoping, that one of these reports will turn out to be true
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 am

whitestarling wrote:Fingers X as it was your Birthday, it could be a sign. It is really difficult to identify unless you get the right shot to compare with past photos as we know on here. When we've tried with other big cats. Still we can keep hoping, that one of these reports will turn out to be true
WS

Maybe I'm in denial because I don't want her to be gone. She's such a great character from Big Cat Diary. However, I am really hoping that it is her! If she's been seen once, she'll hopefully show up again. Maybe someone will get a better sighting of her. :)
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Don't blame you if you are in denial MissLeopard28, no-one wants to hear news that Zawadi is no longer with us so until such time as we hear different we will presume she is alive and well in the Mara . . . . hiding from everyone ! Very Happy
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:07 pm

I'm not ready to give up on her yet either guys. That shot is just the wrong angle to positively ID her. She truly is one of the original stars from the first episode of BCD. Until there are reports of different leopards roaming her territory in Leopard Gorge, I have to believe the reason is because she still is. She knows it far better than anyone looking for her.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:30 pm

I am never giving up hope that Zawadi is alive and well and will be spotted soon.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:51 am

Hey everyone, I guess this is really not any new info on Zawadi, but it is video I've not seen and it is from Jonathan and Angie's time in the Mara earlier this year. The title is incorrect, it should be Zawadi & Malaika. Could this be the project they referred to on the blog earlier in the year?

https://vimeo.com/43883080

The other leopard Jonathan references is Manana, of Leopard Queen fame.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks Ronnie - a great clip. Zawadi is such a beautiful leopard.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:23 am

I,ve not seen that one either thanks Ronnie. I know they mentioned earlier in the year that they had been to Leopard Gorge, and seen Zawadi with Malaika. I think if I remember right Paul kirui was with them at the time, but I dont remember anything about a project.
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Damn just come across this and my lunchtime is over, will definitely catch up with this later cheers
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:06 am

Well, it appears that my suspicions are correct. I just looked at Jonathan Scott's blog and he asked for any information about Zawadi and her history. One of the posters knows her story very well and reported that she was gone for good around April or May of this year. I haven't seen any new information on the web and I have stopped looking. It's sad, I know, but I keep thinking how amazing it was that she was able to survive this long when so many lions and hyenas are around in the Mara. She was definitely my favorite big cat and I will miss her. I always wished I would have been able to meet her in person but never made it to Africa.
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm

Sadly I'm afraid we are going to have to face up to the fact that our beloved Zawadi has gone to the Savannah in the sky Sad She was a magnificent Leopard, and one of the iconic big cats of the Maasi Mara.
RIP Zawadi Sad
WS

Ps Thanks for the update MissLeopard
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:30 pm

There is quite a long debate on FB about this at the moment and there are a few that believe she may not be in the savannah in the sky !!! Quite long this but interesting - here's what is being said (I've removed people's name that posted) :-

Hello Big cat fans long time no post but I heard our dear Shadow daughter of the most beloved Half Tail has passed on!!! Can someone confirm this for me? Two beautiful ladies and legends each in their own right!

Have not heard that. Shadow has not been seen I quite a while but she is famous for disappearing when she wants to. I think we all fear this news due to her age but I have heard nothing so far to prove she's gone. I think we all know the odds of a 16 year old leopard still being around but I'm not willing to count this one out without more evidence.

Someone told me she died this summer, info via the BCD eps on u-tube

Oh no....R I P, But she did have one cub with her too...

There have been no reports of her death. There also haven't been reports of her being seen since early this year. Nobody, well at least nobody who has bothered to post online, knows what has happened to her. We can hope she shows up sometime in the future (near future given her age), but it is most likely she may never be seen again (maybe because she is dead).

Thanks

If this news is true thank no hope for her last cub as it was very small to fend on its own....

OMG! I was hoping Zawadi/Shadow would make it if she had another cub. Anyone ever hear how she passed please let us know.

There is no confirmation that Zawadi has left us..she is known to disappear for months and then reappear looking well.

Yup, agreed. Would anyone really be surprised if she reappears?

Pepe puy wrote on Jonathan scotts blog that shadow died during the long rains...

Ask him to provide a source..

Who is he by the way... he seems to know much about the mara

Just read his post..the way it's written, still doesn't look like solid proof to me. Sounds more like typical Zawadi behavior..Maybe she is gone for good, maybe she is not. Zawadi has disappeared so many times over the years. We may not have ever known who Bella was if it wasn't for Zawadi being Zawadi..if she is gone, bless her, she was a great old cat. Remember the tribute video from when she died in 2009? People were mourning for months before I even knew it existed, I had seen pictures with dates just after the video came out.

There was a strange report on here not long ago..it didn't make much sense and don't remember exactly when it was written, was definitely after she lost the last cub..a guide seen two leopards, thought it was an adult male and a female. came back the next morning and realized it was Zawadi and a young male cub..think he said app 15mo..not positive it if really was her, or a mistake on the cubs age..also remember reading a report, her, the new cub, and her son from her previous litter were seen together just before the little cub died...not enough to say this is all fact, but neither is Pepe's report..I'm not looking at this from an emotional can't let her go point of view, just know from over the years she's a tricky one!

That reported sighting was from Governors July Game Report. Pepe P. is keeping good records of the Mara lions, but he is not always correct. Not sure if GC was wrong with the id of the leopardess, I tend to believe it was correct. But who knows?

O don't know about the GC report. The math just doesn't add up. Even if that was her and a cub then what cub would be that size? Even if Malaika survived she wouldn't be and that would mean there was another cub less than a year old when Malaika was born. Gotta be a mistake somewhere.

Oh no I hope not! I am still trying to find out what happened to Solo.

Let's just wait for Johnathan Scott to report if she has passed. Most people would go to him and tell him and I'm pretty sure he will try to find out for sure.
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:52 pm

The only way this will be solved to everyones satisfaction, is that there is proof of a sighting of Zawadi, or someone sees her body. The second part is very doubtful, as the remains would'nt be around very long, and the chance of someone coming across them is a very long shot. So I think that only the lengh of time she is not seen, is the only way we wiil know she's gone. That time will depend on each individual, as to how long it is before they give up hope of seeing Zawadi again. We know she can vanish for long periods, but her age, and the rains they had there, are really against her this time. I think we will all make our own minds up as to when the time is right to say goodbye to Zawadi.
Thanks for the FB nudge Doogs
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 5 Empty Confused about Zwadi

Post  Ghost2k25 Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:27 am

Does anyone have any new information on Zwadi? It seems to me she may be gone for good, why havnt JS posted any important knews about, don't you think he cared about her that much?

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:57 am

Sadly Ghost as far as we know there has been no sightings or any further news. I certainly do'nt think its a case of Jonathan not caring, Jonathan, and Angie are rarely in the Mara now, they have so many commitments elsewhere in fact Lai one of our members has only just returned from a Safari in Zambia with them, also Angie has recently had a serious operation, and is only now recovering. So he has'nt really had time to investigate, especialy around Leopards George where she would most likely be, but there are lots of eyes out there looking for her. As I said in my last post, she is a Cat we all loved, and although Pepe said about her dying in the heavy rains there is no conclusive evidence of that, so individuals will make their own minds up about her passing.

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 5 Empty I think she is gone for good.

Post  Ghost2k25 Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:49 am

I think with the amount of no news and no sightings, we all can conclude are beloved Shadow has left us. I believe she died towards the end of summer of 2012. I wish we could track or know some of her cubs, just as we did with after Bella died(with Olive). It just saddens me to think that most of the star of BCD are gone from this planet. Watching the show on youtube or t.v. always saddens me, knowing that stars like Shadow, and Bella are gone.

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:30 pm

I Agree Ghost, it's sad that the stars of BCD have gone to the great savannah in the sky. Watching BCD was so special and you really got to know the characters over the years.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Thats so true Ghost, so many of our favourites gone. Not only the Leopards, but also the Cheetahs, and our Marsh Pride stars that we loved so much Sad . Still we can enjoy there offspring as you mentioned in your post about Olive. They have all left us a legacy of their time in this world that we can enjoy Very Happy
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  littlewid Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:31 pm

You are right Ghost that it is very sad that so many stars of BCD have now gone but remember how much enjoyment they gave us and how much we learned from them, so they may have gone in body but not in spirit, they are all with us as we remember them fondly in our hearts.

littlewid-x-
littlewid
littlewid
Admin

Back to top Go down

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 5 Empty Warm my Heart

Post  Ghost2k25 Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Doogs wrote:
I love you I love you Couple of pictures posted on Kicheche Bush Camp's FB Page of Zawadi I love you I love you :-

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 5 Zawadi10

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 5 Zawadi11
These pictures really warm my heart, knowing that they were probably the last two pictures of Shadow and her young cub.

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 5 Empty Connections

Post  Ghost2k25 Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 pm

The main reason why i feel really heartbroken from the death of Shadow, is basically it feels as if ive lost a close childhood friend. I grew up watching Big Cat and remember her being a cub and growing day by day into an independent adult. The Big Cat Diary series really made me form a bond with Shadow and her unique story. I remember one episode when she lost her 2nd cub to a fire, and instead of mourning the lose she started to play around with a log. Leopards like Safi were never really formed a bond with Johnathon, while Shadow would continously show indirect trust and affection to Johnathon. I really wised they followed Shadow for many more series, and filmed her stories about raising her other successful cubs. I've read that she raised a total or 5-7 cubs to adulthood, and i wished BCD and BCL could have docummented the other 11 years of her life. Maybe we could have had a Shadow 2, just as we have Olive from Bella, and continued to read about Shadow's daughter living at Leopard Gorge. In a way i wonder if the current female leopard residing in leopard gorge is Shadows undocumented daughter? In a way it makes sense right because Olive resides in Bella's former territory, the Talek river?

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost2k25 Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 pm

whitestarling wrote:Thats so true Ghost, so many of our favourites gone. Not only the Leopards, but also the Cheetahs, and our Marsh Pride stars that we loved so much Sad . Still we can enjoy there offspring as you mentioned in your post about Olive. They have all left us a legacy of their time in this world that we can enjoy Very Happy
WS
Yes the cheetahs and the Marsh pride stars are all passing away too.
I really really wonder what happened to cheetahs like Amber and Kika? I mean i understand they disappeared and no one saw them again but what happened. Last time i check Amber was a really good hunter and disappeared into the bush or something? Kika was last scence mating with that male, and JS said that she probably died or old age on BCL. Could'nt they have seen Kika when they were filming Honey with totu and the next series with her 3 boys(in which two are alive now and living). Also is it true that Honey was Kika's daughter? BC really left a lot of questions on the table when the series was over.

Ghost2k25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum