Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zawadi (aka Shadow)

+7
MissLeopard28
Anne-Marie1981
Safari Maiden
Laikipia
whitestarling
RMorr50912
Doogs
11 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 4 Empty Re: Zawadi (aka Shadow)

Post  MissLeopard28 Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:37 pm

whitestarling wrote:Hi MissLeopard
Welcome to WAA.
I've emailed our friend Aatish Patel of Masai Mara Safaris, to see if he has any news about Zawadi, he is also close friends with Paul Kiriu, and I've asked the question on Pauls FB Page. We will check with others out there, it looks as though you've already asked on Jonethen Scotts Blog, at least I'm guessing its you, and see what we can find out, and post it here if we hear anything. Zawadi's a fantastic Lady, and we were so sad to hear she'd lost her Cub, but she's getting on a bit now for a Leopard, and to be still bringing up Cubs at her age is a big ask. Fingers X we will get some news of her

WS
Whitestarling Admin Team

Thank you so much! Yes, that was me that posted on Jonathan Scott's blog. I've been using Google with the keywords "Zawadi" and "leopard" for about 2-3 months and nothing new has come up except the Italian magazine that had a picture of Zawadi on the cover in May. I hope she is still around! Wink
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Hey everyone, I talked to Onesmus yesterday about Zawadi.He said they rarely go all the way up to her home range unless they're with Jonathan Scott, but he recommended I talk to Mara North Conservancy, they are more involved in her area. Posted on their FB page today was this:

For all you waiting for a Zawadi update, she still hasn't been seen but her daughter (who now has a cub of her own) has been seen on each of the last 6 days.

Seems she's still unaccounted for unfortunately.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks for checking Ronnie. If I remember right Zawadi is usualy seen around Leopard Gorge, and as you say thats one of Jonathans favourite places to visit. Leopards as we all know, are secretive, and not always spotted. Hopefully we will get some news soon. It's good to know that her Daughter has been seen though, and with a Cub as well, which is good news
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:27 pm

RMorr50912 wrote:Hey everyone, I talked to Onesmus yesterday about Zawadi.He said they rarely go all the way up to her home range unless they're with Jonathan Scott, but he recommended I talk to Mara North Conservancy, they are more involved in her area. Posted on their FB page today was this:

For all you waiting for a Zawadi update, she still hasn't been seen but her daughter (who now has a cub of her own) has been seen on each of the last 6 days.

Seems she's still unaccounted for unfortunately.

Ronnie

Thank you for trying to get some information. Is this daughter the one we saw on Big Cat Diary in 2002? Her name was Safi. I saw a clip of Safi recently and she looks just how I remember from BCD.

I really am starting to think that Shadow/Zawadi is no longer around. I'm still hopeful. sunny
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I checked on Mara North's FB page following Ronnies post, and someone has asked the same question about Zawadi/Shadow. Mara North have replied that she has'nt been seen for a few weeks. I was'nt sure how long they meant by that, so I've asked was it after she lost her Cub. Not sure if thats Safi, or one of her later Cubs, Ronnie or one of the others may know.
I wonderd if you had come across Zawadi/Shadow from watching BCD as we are all big fans of the series. This might be of interest to you it's some thing we looked at some time ago. The Big Cat Family Tree. You'll find it on the Link below
https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net/t478-big-cat-diary-family-tree

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:33 am

Thank you! I "liked" the Mara North Conservancy's page on FB so I can view any news. I hope she is just in hiding like a leopard does often and makes an appearance soon. Laughing
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:19 am

Hey guys, I've seen where people are asking if it was Safi and I kinda doubt it's her they are talking about.She never was as comfortable as Shadow/Zawadi around vehicles, and nobody has definitively seen her in quite a while. Like Mara North said though, even in Shadow's case it isn't unusual to not see her for weeks at a time. Leopards generally are not seen when they don't want to be. It's just her age that has me worried. I will keep trying to see if anyone I know has any info.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:46 am

Copy of a reply to my email, from Masai Mara Safaris

Hi WS,
Sorry for taking so long to reply. The internet here has been really bad again. That is also why we have not updated the blog. Unfortunately no one that i know of has any news about zawadi. Will definitely let you know if we hear anything.

Aatish

I have to agree with Ronnie I also think it's doubtful that it was Safi that was seen. There are certainly plenty of people out there keeping an eye out, so fingers X she will make an appreance soon, but as you say Ronnie her age is a worry, but lets hope for the best
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:59 am

Well, almost a week and no sightings. Zawadi, are you still out there? Come out of hiding, please, so we know you are still around! :What:
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:02 am

I Agree MissLeopard.

Someone must know and surely someone can let us know scratch

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Laikipia wrote: I Agree MissLeopard.

Someone must know and surely someone can let us know scratch

Lai

I hope someone sees her and reports it soon! :)
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Hmm, all my searching still hasn't come up with a recent sighting. The old girl is either hiding very well or she's gone. Sad
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:14 pm

I hope someone does see her soon but if she's gone to the savannah in the sky Crying or Very sad lets be grateful that she's lived a long and wonderful life for a leopard. It was such a pleasure for us Big Cat Diary fans to watch her when she was filmed and she will forever have a wee place in our hearts I love you

Last edited by Doogs on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Doogs wrote:I hope someone does see her soon but if she's gone to the savannah in the sky Crying or Very sad lets be grateful that she's lived a long and wonderful life for a leopard. It was such a pleasure for us Big Cat Diary to watch her when she was filmed and she will forever have a wee place in our hearts I love you

Yes, I'm just thankful she outlived her mum, Half-Tail, who was killed for attacking livestock. It was so sad because it was right after Big Cat Diary filmed her with her young cubs. The rangers spotted the cubs looking very skinny so they laid out food for them, but it didn't work and they ended up dying from starvation. Poor things. Sad

Zawadi is a very special leopard. I don't think there has ever been another leopard in the Mara who has lived as long as she has and has had several successful cub rearings. I'm glad her legacy will still be around if she is indeed gone through her offspring and grandkids.

A picture of Zawadi when she was a cub:

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 4 Leop-12
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Awwww what a gorgeous picture MissLeopard28, look at her beautiful eyes. Thank you :)
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Doogs wrote:Awwww what a gorgeous picture MissLeopard28, look at her beautiful eyes. Thank you :)

You're welcome! She has always been my favorite from BCD. Half-Tail and Honey are right behind her. :)
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Thats a cracking photo of Zawadi Miss Leopard thanks for sharing, she has been a star for so long, that I think none of want to believe she has gone, and so we will keep on hoping someone comes up with news of her, and if she gone then she will still be a star in the sky over the Savanna
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:05 pm

whitestarling wrote:Thats a cracking photo of Zawadi Miss Leopard thanks for sharing, she has been a star for so long, that I think none of want to believe she has gone, and so we will keep on hoping someone comes up with news of her, and if she gone then she will still be a star in the sky over the Savanna
WS

I know! That's what I keep thinking -- I don't want to lose hope just yet! Now, if a year goes by without a sighting, then that's different but it's only been 4 months. I keep hoping her beautiful, golden spotted coat will be seen somewhere. sunny
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 pm

I have to agree with everyone else MissLeopard what a lovely photo! I still have heard no news from any of the places I normally look. The only thing I have to offer as hope is there was a time when even Jonathan couldn't find her for awhile. That's how we came to meet the lovely Bella, and now Olive and her offspring. The only problem is she wasn't 16 years old back then. She has a well established territory, so as long as no unknown leopards are seen there, there is still hope.

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  RMorr50912 Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:16 am

I think we will all fondly remember this moment!

Ronnie
RMorr50912
RMorr50912

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:08 am

RMorr50912 wrote:I think we will all fondly remember this moment!

Ronnie

I LOVE that clip. It brought tears to my eyes just thinking about the first time I watched it -- thinking how amazing it was to have a leopard that close to you and knowing her legacy. If anyone remembers from BCD Season 1 in 1996 when Zawadi was just 7 months old, she got even closer to Jonathan's Land Rover. Skip to 6:55 on the video. (Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get it to start right from that time.)

MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Thanks Missleopard, and Ronnie. Those two clips certainly bring back memories of Zawadi. I remember them both well, could'nt believe at the time how close Johnathan was to her. She was'nt going to give the hare back to Half Tail in the second clip was she Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 4 40683
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 am

I think I may have found a recent sighting of Zawadi! Karen Blixen Camp posted an update on Facebook about the Wildebeest migration and one of the pictures was of a leopard. I swear it looks like Zawadi! The only thing is that the picture is not close enough but I can vaguely see a line of 5 spots under her eye. I asked if it a recent update and I'm waiting for an answer. Here's the picture:

Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 4 486405_10150975847217234_973905386_n

I'm so excited! My heart skipped a beat because I truly thought she was gone. No one had heard about her or seen her in over 5 months. :)
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  whitestarling Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:25 am

It would be brilliant news if it was. I dont know if this will help, but I've enhanced the photo as much as poss.
Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 4 211

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MissLeopard28 Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:41 am

whitestarling wrote:It would be brilliant news if it was. I dont know if this will help, but I've enhanced the photo as much as poss.
Zawadi (aka Shadow) - Page 4 211

WS

I wish the photo was taken closer. Thanks for trying to zoom in, but it looks blurry and you can't see the line of 5 spots. Maybe the image was flipped and the spots are on the other side? Wink
MissLeopard28
MissLeopard28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum