Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Wild About Animals
New members come, and say Hello
Plant a seed and watch it grow
Old Members why not share your news
We have loads more for you to choose
Guests your welcome to have a look
but why not sign up and then get hooked!
To All its a pleasure to have you with us

Note: New Members are expected to post within one Month of joining, and post on a fairly regular basis.
Wild About Animals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari

+3
whitestarling
Laikipia
littlewid
7 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 Empty Re: Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari

Post  whitestarling Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:57 pm

WOW Thats gone quick AM, just a short time to go then you'll be there. Sorry cant help with any hints as we've neber been. Hope your Uncle, and Aunt are recovered enough to go to the Wedding, and that you have a Fab Day
WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 Empty Re: Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari

Post  whitestarling Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:15 am

Just one Tip for all you Guys going on Safari, and its really important
DONT FORGET THE IMODIUM

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 Catcra10
Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683

WS
whitestarling
whitestarling
Admin

https://wildaboutanimals.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Safari Maiden Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 am

Embarassed
Safari Maiden
Safari Maiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:47 pm

I love that WS - and in my case is just soooooooooooo true. I am always behind the vehicle or the nearest bush Embarassed

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683 wot you like WS !!!!! Laughing At least she's in the right position with supplies in her right hand if she happens to turn around !!!!

Immodium is high on my list of 'things to take' - I shovel them in - just incase Wink Laughing
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 pm

lol! Doogs - you and me both!

Lai

Just heard from John in Nairobi that all our paperwork is in order Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 what a relief. Now I need to find out what time we are getting married Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843

Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 fantastic news Lai Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 You're now good to go Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:13 am

Has Ian has his photography day yet Doogs? And if so how did it go?

I've just remembered I need to clear my portable harddrive and learn how to use it again, it's still got 1362 photos from the last safari on it!

I know I keep asking but how long until you leave? I bet you are just sooooooooooooooooo excited now Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418
Just hoping the Mara weather improves!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Lai, he had it yesterday and had a great day Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843

The guy came round to the house at 9am and finished up with Ian at 4.30pm (this included a stint at a nearby beach) so he got a full days worth. He wants Ian to take his photo's on manual and adjust his camera settings i.e. ISO & Shutter Speed accordingly. Ian's hired a lens (L70-200, F2.8 - means nothing to me but others might know) from London to take to with him to Kenya & the guy took his one up with him to give him a pre-safari try which was great. He really enjoyed his day but most of all he learned a lot which of course was the purpose of getting him that in the first place !!! I will be expecting VERY good photos from him Wink No pressure eh Laughing

Got our KS on Friday from M&S, 141.5 to the £

1 week on Saturday we leave to go on holiday Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 London for 2 nights before leaving for the Kenya on Monday 3rd September which of course is two weeks today (1 week on Sat sounds sooner though Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683 )

There seems to be an incredible amount of rain about in the Mara just now, it's got two weeks to dry up Shocked
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:25 am

Fantastic Doogs. I struggle with manual as you've got to know what's where on your camera, although I like to try it once I'm up and running after a few days. I'm more into shutter speed or aperture. So pleased Ian enjoyed his day and learned lots and the good news is that it's not long until you go so he won't forget it all Laughing

Very good idea to hire a lens - and yes you can expect some really good photos now (no pressure of course, I am sure Ian's photos are always stunning Very Happy ) Found this on the lens.

Combining a very popular and very useful focal length range with excellent image quality, professional build quality, superb autofocus performance, a fast aperture and one of my favorite features - Canon's valuable 3-stop Image Stabilization - makes the 70-200 IS one of Canon's most desired lenses. When I really need to make every shot count, the 70-200 IS is one of the first lenses I will include in my bag. It is one of the most-professionally-used lenses available and finds a home in the kit of many, many serious amateurs as well.
OMG I can't believe you are almost going - Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 I am so excited for you! I really wish we were in the Mara at the same time, I am sure one year we will be Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843

Fingers crossed the rain stops - the Mara floods so quickly and the roads vanish and the rivers become impassible - but whatever it will be wonderful.

Glad you got a good rate for your KS. Roll on 3rd September Cheetah

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

I think it took Ian a bit of getting used to as well Lai but the guy did say by the end of the day he was adjusting his settings without looking so that was good cheers

This is who I booked it through and they have places up and down the country:- http://www.goingdigital.co.uk/

That's a great bit about the lens that Ian's hired, thank you, I will let him see that. I think he was just over £100 to hire it from somewhere in London, I didn't think that was too bad a price.

I am seriously driving everyone nuts in the office I'm that excited to be going away, goodness knows how they are going to cope next week when it's the final week affraid Laughing

KS is 141.1 today so even if it does get better than what we've got it's not going to be by much.

8 more working days, one week on Saturday, two weeks today we'll be in Samburu, 11 more sleeps - which ever way you look at it it's exciting !!! Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 40683
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:24 pm

That's a great link, thanks Doogs. Plenty near us and definitely one for the spring, I think I am a bit short of time now, not as short as you but .............. 3 weeks on Sunday we fly to Nairobi, 4 days later we get married ...........then we fly to the north - only 27 sleeps Sleep

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:30 pm

EXCELLENT LAI Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 Excite10
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:18 am

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 768480 Doogs. Great pic.

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:43 am

KS seems to be gradually going down slightly so looks like we struck when the iron was hot Lai.

AM, have you got your KS or did you get one of those pre-paid travel visa cards ?

Lai, where in the north are you staying ? and how long are you there then the Mara for ? Do you come straight home after the Mara ?

lion cub Elephant behind Cheetah Giraffe Rhino 2 zebra Mane elephant Monkey Rhino leopard in Tree
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Nope, not got ours yet!! We haven't had any money to be able to buy so will be getting them this weekend.

Not long now Very Happy
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Plenty of time Wink Our M&S had them in stock so you shouldn't have any problem getting KS.

I love, finally, being able to say "I'm going on holiday NEXT week" !!! Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 768480
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anne-Marie1981 Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 768480 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 768480 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 768480 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843

NEXT WEEK!!!
Anne-Marie1981
Anne-Marie1981

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Same here Doogs, our M & S had them in stock too.

In the north we are staying at a place called Sarara - we fly from Nairobi to Nanyuki and then by vehicle. I need to look on a map but if you drove from Nairobi it would be 8 hours. We're at Sarara from 23rd to 27th and then Rekero from 28th - 3rd October and fly back that evening.

I can't believe you are both off next week Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:39 pm

I must admit I've never heard of Sarara so will go and check it out Wink What's the name of the lodge if you don't mind me asking ? Have you been there before ? I take it that's even more north than us in Samburu ?

You've got ages on safari which is just brilliant, very jealous and very excited for you Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 71418

Next week, next week - after booking it in November last year I can't believe it's now NEXT WEEK !!!! Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843 Helpful Hints & Preparations for going on a Safari - Page 6 853843
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Link for Sarara http://www.sararacamp.com/

No, i've not been before but heard that it was a great place to visit, so am really looking forward to a good chill after the chaos of 4 days in Nairobi. I love the north as it's so different as you know. Less game but different game and a chance to walk as well.

I admit I got carried away when I booked it (and then told Pete Laughing )

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Oooh thanks for that Lai, will go and have a look now.

Yes you're right, good place to chill after Nairobi and the wedding Wink

That's the way to do it, book it then ask Pete for the money Laughing Cool Wink

Just saw this post on Trip Advisor - BA Crews misbehaving in Nairobi !!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2029600/Topless-air-hostesses-lead-BA-scrapping-flights-lucrative-destinations.html
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:55 pm

affraid that would be bad news!

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Doogs Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:56 pm

We're flying with BA affraid pale You ?
Doogs
Doogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Laikipia Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Yes!

Sometimes we've gone with Virgin - just depends on timings etc. I have a lot of BA airmiles so use them when I can. (I shall now confess i was married to a BA pilot many years ago Very Happy )

Lai
Laikipia
Laikipia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next